5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2011 9:52 AM by Steve Grisetti

export to .mp4 extension, not .mov

nritzauwvi

Hi, I am new to PE9 and am trying to save a video to .mp4. I have tried going to Share>Computer>Quicktime and then changing the codec to both H.264 and MPEG-4 codecs, but each time I save it the file extension ends in .mov, not .mp4. Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong or am I asking PE9 to do something it can't do? Or am I supposed to convert .mov file to .mp4?

Thanks for the help

• 1. Re: export to .mp4 extension, not .mov
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Try going to Share/To Portable Device and selecting the iPod option.

Although, for what it's worth, if you're using the H.264 codec, you're getting an MP4, even if the extension says MOV. In fact, I think you can change it to MP4 if you'd like and it will still play the same.

• 2. Re: export to .mp4 extension, not .mov
            NewzGuy1

wow! Can the reverse be done? Files I save as mp4's look great whereas I'm butchering .mov files and they are what I need to show.
            So can I just render as mp4's and switch the tags to mov? will such files play in all quicktime players mac & pc?

Tnx in advance.

• 3. Re: export to .mp4 extension, not .mov

Quicktime Player can play MP4s.

But you can't just switch suffixes randomly. It all depends on the codecs and the file formats.

Changing the suffix doesn't change the file format -- and doing so randomly can confuse your operating system, except in few cases.

• 4. Re: export to .mp4 extension, not .mov
                NewzGuy1 Level 1

Steve than you so much for your answer! (As I said in another post, I'm buying your book!)
                I think I've stumbled upon good camera settings to go with Pre9 in most cases. I'd used the extension switch just for a setting that allowed 640x480 and "decent" but certainly not boradcast quality. I'll move away from that old 4X3 setting to the 740X??? (can't think of it right now,) And I'll keep tweaking .mov settings rather than using the mp4 output.

It's frustrating that most producers and talent agencies insist on only .mov files! I think the 15meg limit they mostly insist on is a limitation as to their emails back and forth with producers more than anything else. Some are using YouSendIt for files, but still want it under 15megs. (Sigh)
                I'm only using Pre9 to go from avchd through editing and output to either mp4 or .mov and sent a test to another pc.
                The mp4 file in the sheep's clothing of .mov played fine, but I hear ya as to it being a potential problem depending on what others use to playback the file.
                Thanks again, I'm sure I'll learn tons from ya sir!
                • 5. Re: export to .mp4 extension, not .mov

And, needless to say, you'll learn even more from my books!

http://Muvipix.com/pe9.php