12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2011 3:03 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 8 codec missing

Ruglen Level 1

I can't open any of my projects. The error message codec missing.

Can anyone offer a solution.

Thanks MM

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8 codec missing
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, I am not seeing your screen-caps here.

Can you give us the details of your source footage, and also your Project Preset?

The details of your OS would also be very useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8 codec missing
            Ruglen Level 1

Can you give us the details of your source footage, and also your  Project Preset?

The details of your OS would also be very  useful.

Sorry I don't know what Project preset is.

I am using Win 7 pro.

When I try to open a project I receive the message Codec missing. When I close the screen then the project opens

With this text in many languages  in the preview window.  "Saying Media Offline"

MM

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8 codec missing
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you can't provide your project presets or the model of camcorder your video came from -- well, that could be part of the problem right there. It is vital to a successful project that your project preset match your video source.

My free Basic Training tutorials on Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com should give you some background. The first tutorial deals specifically with project presets.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

Also, you don't say how you're trying to open a project. Can you be more specific about what you're doing? Projects themselves have nothing to do with codecs -- so, if you're getting a missing codec message, you're may not be opening your project correctly.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Premiere Elements 8 codec missing
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Media Offline, is most often caused by Assets being Moved, Renamed, or Deleted. This can happen, when one has the Assets on an external HDD, and the OS assigns a new drive letter to that. The lins in PrE are absolute Paths, so if anything changes, PrE cannot find the Assets.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 8 codec missing
                  Ruglen Level 1

That is exactly what happened. I moved all of my movies to a new

external hard drive.

I realized what had happened so I moved them back but the problem persists.

Is there a way to correct my error?

I really need to move the movies to this new drive as my C drive is

overloaded, is there a way to do it and still be able to access them?

Thanks for you help

Mairi Maxwell

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 8 codec missing
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The way to address this issue, will depend on what you have done so far.

If you accepted the Media Offline, and then did a Save for your Project, there are only two choices:

• Manually relink each Asset in the Project Panel, one by one
                    • Go to the last AutoSave, Open that, and then let PrE help you find the Assets

The secret is that Save, that will have overwritten your PREL file. When faced with such a prospect, one should ALWAYS choose Save_As, and never Save, so that no overwriting takes place.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 8 codec missing
                      Ruglen Level 1

Thanks I will try to retrieve all of my projects.

I will also use Save as in future.

Thanks Mairi Maxwell

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 8 codec missing
                        Ruglen Level 1

Hello Bill , I am not having any success.

How do I find the missing Codec?

When I close this window the project opens and that is when I receive

the Media Offline message.

I have certainly made a mess of this, I will think twice and find the

correct way to move files in the future.

Mairi Maxwell

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 8 codec missing
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

The Media Offline is not likely to be related to a missing CODEC. Those surface, when one Imports an Asset into a Project. The Media Offline is usually related to the absolute Path having been changed, since the Project was last Saved.

To check fo CODEC's, run one of those files through the great, free utilities, G-Spot, or MediaInfo. They will tell you which CODEC's are required, and whether you have them installed properly.

Let us know what those prograrms say about your files, please.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 8 codec missing
                            Ruglen Level 1

Thank you I will work on it tomorrow and keep you posted. Looks like it

will be a long process. All self inflicted.

Mairi Maxwell

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 8 codec missing
                              Ruglen Level 1

I am wondering if it would be easier to uninstall then re install the

programme?

MM

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 8 codec missing
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Before I took that course of action, I would survey the AV files, and post the results here.

If you are missing a necessary CODEC, unless it's a pretty small group, then PrE will likely NOT install what you need. It ships with, and installs some MainConcept CODEC's, but not that many.

Uninstalling and reinstalling will not address the absolute Paths of the Assets, until one starts a New Project and Imports that footage again.

Good luck,

Hunt