5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2011 2:08 PM by Steve Grisetti

What Presets to choose from PRE8?

mspeanutmm

Preface to my questions:

The Photos are from a Canon SD600:  photos were taken at high resolution 2816 x 2112

From PSE8 Editor:  I used “process multiple files” button to reduce the size of the photos to “JPEG medium” because my system was crashing with the original photo size.  Unfortunately, I could not find what the “medium” pixel size was when I chose it.  The re-sized dimensions are now in the high 400 pixel size.

-          Should I have chosen “JPEG large” instead? 

-          What pixel dimensions are associated with “large”?

-     Will the "JPEG medium" sized photos view decently if the preset is set at HDV 1080i?

In the end, I want to be able to view my video on a HDTV with the best resolution possible.  From slideshow mode,

-          my question is WHAT PRESETS should I choose under NTSC?:

-     my HDTV is 1080p.  Does it matter if HDV 1080i is chosen?

Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorder Presets

HD 1080i 30 – For video from high-definition (1920x1080), non-AVCHD hard drive or

flash memory camcorders (such as the JVC GZ-HD7).

HD 1080i 30 (60i) – For video from high-definition (1440x1080), non-AVCHD hard

drive or flash memory camcorders that record in 60i format. (The PAL equivalent is, of

course, 50i.)

Standard 48kHz – For video from standard-definition 4:3 hard drive camcorders as

well as video from DVDs. It is very important to use this or the following preset with

standard-de  nition MPEG or VOB sources because it will automatically reverse the

eld dominance in your video, correcting an interlacing issue that can otherwise cause

uttering in your output videos.

Widescreen 48 kHz – For video from standard-definition 16:9 hard drive camcorders

and video from DVDs.

HDV Presets

HDV 1080i 30 – For video from tape-based, high-definition HDV camcorders that

shoot full HDV at 1440x1080 pixels.

HDV 720p 30 – For video from tape-based, high-definition HDV camcorders that

shoot full HDV at 1280x720 pixels.

• 1. Re: What Presets to choose from PRE8?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Just to clarify -- is your project photos or video or a mix? And if video, what camcorder is your video coming from?

Do you plan to burn your video to a BluRay disc? This is the only way you'll be able to view it in true hi-def. Otherwise, you might as well create a standard def project and burn it to a DVD, then let your disc player upscale the image for your TV.

Once we know if you're going to make a DVD or a BluRay disc, we'll be able to make recommendations on your photo sizes (which will definitely need to be down-rezzed to video resolution) and your project specs.

• 2. Re: What Presets to choose from PRE8?
            mspeanutmm Level 1

Hi Steve,   I meant to say video within the camera.  I'm using the photos and the video took by the canon SD600.  I will be playing the completed project on a Sony blu-ray/DVD player.  Thanks.

• 3. Re: What Presets to choose from PRE8?

The first challenge is that video from these types of still camera records as something called an MJPEG-AVI -- a format that's usually not compatible with Premiere Elements.

The second is that, according to the online specs, the highest quality video that this camera will produce is 640x480. So there's no point in working with this video as a hi-def or BluRay project.

My recommendation would be to first convert the video to a DV-AVI using Windows MovieMaker or Super, using the instructions in this article from the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

Then I'd recommend opening a standard DV Premiere Elements project and editing your video. Output your video as a DVD. Your disc player will do a better job of upscaling this DVD than you'll get if you try to up-rez your 640x480 video and output it as a BluRay disc.

• 4. Re: What Presets to choose from PRE8?
                mspeanutmm Level 1

Hi Steve,  the video from the camera views fine during playback of my project.  The photos that I am using for my photos is the problem.  Based on my set up described in my original post, will the preset HDV 1080i 30 work or do I resort to NTSC standard DVD setting because the camera's video files are part of the project.  FYI:  I did burn it as NTSC Standard DVD but the quality of the photos is iffy...some look great...some look grainy...the camera's videos look good.  Maybe this is the best that I can produce with the configuration of photos/camera video files?

• 5. Re: What Presets to choose from PRE8?

Have you resized your photos to no larger than 1000x750 pixels at 72 ppi? This is very important.

As I said, you should be using the standard DV project preset. Do not use the HDV preset or you're going to have other issues.

And don't forget, whenever you see a red line above your clips on the timeline, you need to render. Press Enter. When the video is rendered the red line will turn green and you should get a good clean playback.

You will also get the best quality from any photos you place in your video if you right-click on each, select Field Options and check the Flicker Removal option.

This is all stuff I cover in my books, by the way. If you're looking for a one-stop shop for all of the answers!