1 2 Previous Next 54 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2011 1:05 PM by Ed C Jake

Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen

Ed C Jake Level 1

I'm using Premier 7.0 with VISTA on an Intel Core(TM) 2 Quad and 6GB of RAM system. 

All photos and movies are stored on an external 1TB HD connected by a USB cable.  The Premier Project (.prel) is saved to the "C" drive.  The scratch disk settings use a second external HD (500GB) using a USB cable.  All 3 HDs have at least 70% of their space free.

When the movies are previewed in Elements 7.0, there is no jitter, however when previewed in Premier 7.0 there is jitter.  I am not worried about the Premier preview jitter but when it is burned directly to disk using the DVD NTSC-Widescreen format, there is jitter on the final movie.  Are three HDs causing me a problem or is it something else?  How do I solve this problem (I would like to maintain the 1TB HD for storing the photos and movies, if possible)?

• 1. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you saying you have only photos and no video in your project? If you are using video, what kind of camcorder did it come from?

Have you sized all of your photos to no larger than 1000x750 pixels, per my books and the FAQs to the right of this forum?

Which settings did you select for your Premiere Elements project when you started it?

Where are you previewing your video? On a DVD played on your TV -- or just on your computer?

Have you rendered your video before you've previewed it? (If there's a red line above your clips on your timeline, you'll need to press Enter. The red lines will turn green once you've rendered your clips.)

Have you had a chance to check out my free Basic Training tutorials on Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

They'll help you get up and running with much of this basic stuff.

• 2. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
            the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the speeds of your externals and your internal HDD? For video, you need 7200 RPM. Also, the USB connection is very, very slow.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
              Ed C Jake Level 1

Steve, thank you for responding as you did.  I've followed up your suggestions and have provided the answers to your questions as follows:

Note:  I am playing the video on a 1080p plasma TV.

>Are you saying you have only photos and no video in your project? If you are using video, what kind of camcorder did it come from?

- The project includes photos (slide shows and individual photos from Elements 7.0) and movies from a 12MP camera using the Fine (640) setting, not a camcorder).  The Elements created slide shows and photos look great on the final movie.  Only the TV videos have the jitter.

>Have you sized all of your photos to no larger than 1000x750 pixels, per my books and the FAQs to the right of this forum? 

-  The photos were from a 12MP camera, imported to Elements 7.0, and I have not resized them.  Is it necessary if the photos look good and stable in the TV video?

>Which settings did you select for your Premiere Elements project when you started it?

- Checking the Project Settings:  Editing Mode is DV NTSC and Video Pixel Aspect Ratio is D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9.  Given the camera setting of Fine (640) for the videos, should the Aspect Ratio have been set to NTSC Standard 4:3 or it doesn't make a difference?

>Where are you previewing your video? On a DVD played on your TV -- or just on your computer?

- I'm previewing the video in Premier on my computer.

>Have you rendered your video before you've previewed it? (If there's a red line above your clips on your timeline, you'll need to press Enter. The red lines will turn green once you've rendered your clips.)

- I did not.  Rendering the video areas reduced/eliminated the preview jitter.

>Have you had a chance to check out my free Basic Training tutorials on Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com?
              http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0
                   - I played all the videos and it was helpful. 

I still am not sure why the jitter on the TV video.  Hopefully my answers to your questions, above, will provide some clues.

• 4. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
                Ed C Jake Level 1

Bill, all three drives are 7200 RPM. 

I was concerned about the USB connection and would like to address better Elements & Premier performance after resolving the DVD playback jitter on the TV, unless this is the cause of my jitter problem.  I would appreciate your help with the performance improvement in the coming days.

• 5. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For those burned discs, that jitter, what brand of blank media are you using? This ARTICLE will give you a bit of background and some tips. Playability issues can stem from the brand of media used, and can manifest itself with perhaps Sub-picture Highlights that do not work, navigation that does not work, and also juddering video and skipping audio.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
                    Ed C Jake Level 1

Bill, I'm using Verbatim DVD-R discs.

• 7. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Great. It does not get any better than that. Scratch one theory.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
                        David__B Adobe Employee

Hi Ed,

You might also test playing it back on some type of DVD player connected to the TV other than the computer. A DVD player will handle the upsampling to your 1080P screen size and the conversion of interlaced fields automatically, software based playback through the videocard might be related to the cause of the jitter.

Hope that helps,

Dave

• 9. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
                          DurbsLad Level 1

Ed, no-one seems to have suggested the possibility that you might need to invert the field order in your footage.  I know it is particularly a problem if your source is MPEG and your output is DVD, and you're playing on an interlaced monitor/TV.  You get the second half-frame of each frame displayed before the first, and the movement is jerky and rather hard on the eyes.  If this is your problem, it's easily cured - right-click on the footage to open the context menu (or whatever your operating system convention is if it's not Windows), choose "Field Options..." and check the "Reverse Field Dominance" checkbox.  Rebuild the disk, and this might solve your problem.

• 10. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
                            David__B Adobe Employee

I was thinking it was potentially related to fields as well and factored that into my suggestion. I wouldn't think reversing the field dominance would really apply, since the source assets he mentioned were still images and video files from a still image camera, neither of these generally have fields. He also mentioned his display was 1080P, with the P meaning progressive, so full frames without fields. This coincided with the issue being introduced on output. My first thought was to suggest creating a NTSC progressive DVD, but unfortunately Premiere Elements only support NTSC DVD presets which are designed with the standard NTSC DVD specification of interlaced output with lower field order. In the PC output section, one can create a DVD compliant Mpeg2 file which you can change the field order to progressive, but this kind of output would still require burning using some kind of DVD creation software (other than Premiere Elements) and you would want to ensure the footage was not transcoded on output. Long story short, the fields are generally handled automatically by set-top DVD player itself when connected to a LCD TV. This might be an easy way to test if they indeed are the issue.

• 11. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

I apologize for my bad manners. Welcome to the forum, and thank you for weighing in on this issue. It is great to see Adobe folk here, and is highly appreciated. In the PrPro forum, we have been blessed with the presence of Todd, Jeremy, Dennis and several other Adobe employees. We are glad to have you here.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
                                David__B Adobe Employee

Thanks Hunt,

All the help you and Steve provide online here is amazing and you seem to keep your sense of humor though it all. Thank you for the greeting and thank you for helping out the community so much. You guys are great!

Cheers,

Dave

• 13. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
                                  Ed C Jake Level 1

DurbsLad, per your suggestion of "inverting the field order", I tried several

combinations from the Field Options box: 

-  Reverse Field Dominance, only

-  Flicker Removed, only

-  Reverse Field Dominance AND Flicker Removed

by applying each of the above to five different movie clips in the same project,

then rendered and burned a NTSC widescreen disc.  Unfortunately, none of the of

options solved the problem. 

Thanks.  Any other ideas are very welcomed.

Ed

• 14. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
                                    Ed C Jake Level 1

David,

Sorry I didn't respond sooner.  I have been using a DVD player connected to the

TV via the video-in connection.  This is where I notice the problematic jitter

on the movies.  The preview jitter on my computer is reduced after rendering,

but not my big concern.....it's the TV version.

Thanks,

Ed

• 15. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
                                      David__B Adobe Employee

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the clarification. I was curious about the actual appearance of the jitter. Does it look like an interlacing issue? If you do a Google image search for "interlaced fields" and view the resulting images, is that similiar to what you are seeing? Is the jitter present continuously through playback of the entire DVD or only during certain scenes, such as long camera pans? Also, when playing back the DVD on the computer, what software were you playing it back with? Was the issue still present when played back on the computer but just not as noticable?

Kind regards,

Dave

• 16. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
                                        Ed C Jake Level 1

Hi David,

From my understanding and looking at the googled interlaced images, I don't

think it is an interlacing problem.

The jitter occurs in most movie scenes throughout the DVD, but never occurs

during a still or slide show (including pan and zoom) portions of the

project. For about 1/2 to 1-second (for ex.) the image jumps (jitters) to the

left once or twice as it continues playing....and the jitter usually occurs

several times in the same movie scene.  I think (but have not measured)

that almost every movie scene has the jitter at least once.  The total project

is approx. 45 minutes with at least 15-20 minutes of movie scenes dispersed

throughout.

When playing back the project on the computer I have only been using PE7 and I

only used the DVD with the TV.  Per your question, I just tried playing the

DVD on the computer with Windows Media Player 11 and it jittered more than it

did with PE7 or the TV.  The problem is about the same with PE7 and the TV.

Reviewing my first note of this thread, I would like to add the GHz for the

processor: Intel Core(TM) 2 Quad 2   2.40GHz and 6GB of RAM, and VISTA.  

All photos and movies are stored on an external 1TB HD connected by a USB cable.

Could the processor be the problem?

Thanks for sticking with me to find a solution!

I am sending a second posting with

additional info on things I tried today.

Regards,

Ed

• 17. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
                                          Ed C Jake Level 1

Hi to Dave, Steve, Hunt, and DurbsLab

It is still not solved but these are some of the things I tried today:

My goal was to rule out possible causes or stumble on a solution...

- Tried the "non drop-frame timecode" with the project (deleted render for

project and rerendered a section with a few movie clips and played it back).  No

noticeable improvement.

-   Created a new project-1 and saved it and the rendering on the same external

WD 1TB HD as the photos, slide shows, movie clips, and catalog for Elements 7. 

No noticeable improvement. 

I believe this rules out having the project on the C drive, photos, etc.

on an external drive, and the rendering on a second external drive as the

problem.

-  Created a new project-2 with a single movie clip from my project but changed

setting to NTSC Standard 48kHz.  Put the new project and rendering on the same

external HD as the photos, slide shows, movie clips, and catalog for Elements

7.  It had the same jitter problem.

I believe this rules out the NTSC widescreen setting.

- Created a new project-3 with some movie clips taken with a different still

camera in 2008.   It exhibited the same jitter.   This rules out the camera as

the problem.

Note: These movie clips had been used in a large project in 2008 using

Elements 4/PE 2 on an older, less powerful computer without any jitter problem. 

I played the 2008 DVD on my plasma TV, today, to test it.  No jitter problem.

-  I occasionally get an error message in PE7:         

.       I pass it along in case there is a

clue in it.......

I tried other combinations, but to no avail.

Is the Intel Core(TM) 2 Quad 2   2.40GHz and 6GB of RAM adequate?

I hope this triggers some thoughts.

Thanks to everyone for helping!

Ed

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the clarification. I was curious about the actual appearance of the

jitter. Does it look like an interlacing issue? If you do a Google image search

for "interlaced fields" and view the resulting images, is that similiar to what

you are seeing? Is the jitter present continuously through playback of the

entire DVD or only during certain scenes, such as long camera pans? Also, when

playing back the DVD on the computer, what software were you playing it back

with? Was the issue still present when played back on the computer but just not

as noticable?

Kind regards,

Dave

• 18. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen

The problem here is that we've got a lot of people chasing a lot of possible causes. This is because "jitter" can mean so many different things. It could be related to DVD playback issues, it could be related to video interlacing, it could be related to high contrast in your photos.

So it's hard to say exactly what's going on here because we're all interpreting the word "jitter" differently.

Your topic title says that you're seeing the jitter only after you burn your DVD. At another place in your topic you say you're seeing the jitter in your Premiere Elements project playback. And that's part of the confusion.

With so many cooks in the kitchen, I don't know whose advice you want to take, Ed. But if you want my take (assuming from your answers that you're only using photos in your project). Try a test run with just a handful of photos:

1) Open the each photo in Photoshop Elements and go to Enhance/Auto Smart Fix to ensure your colors are balanced and your contrast isn't too high.

2) Reduce your photos to no larger than 1000x750 in size.

3) In Premliere Elements, right-click on each photo on your timeline and select Field Options/Flicker Removal.

4) Render your timeline by pressing Enter.

5) Output your video.

If you're still seeing "jitter", try posting a sample of your jittery video to a site like Vimeo or Muvipix.com (or YouTube, though it's not my first choice because they reduce the quality of your video so much). Post a link to us here so we can see exactly what's going on.

• 19. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
                                              Ed C Jake Level 1

Steve,

I was successful this afternoon in uploading a 51 second ".avi file" to Vimeo. 

The specific links are listed at the bottom of this reply.

I tried many times, unsuccessfully, during Sat. and Sun. to upload different

length "avi" files (as small as 28 sec.) to the Movipix community web site.  It

had apparently been unsuccessful due to file size.

Since this thread has gotten long, let me summarize before listing the links:

1.  It is only the movie clips that exhibit the jitter problem in all

situations, as follows: 

a.  Movie clip jitter when the DVD is played on TV or

b.  Movie clip jitter when reviewing the project in PE7 or

c.  Movie clip jitter when playing the DVD on the computer using

Windows Media Player 11.   While playing the DVD on the computer is not my

intended usage, I did this step to address David's question in an earlier

reply. 

2.  The photos and slide show clips have been rock solid.....no jitter in

any of the above situations.

3.  Steve, if the title of my thread was confusing, I apologize.  When I

submitted the problem I assumed the jitter in the PE7 preview was due to the

limitations of my computer and didn't think much about it.  When the jitter

occurred throughout the movie clips on the DVD, I couldn't resolve it and posted

the problem as I did.  It is only through the replies and subsequent testing

that I realized the jitter shouldn't be showing in PE7 previews either.

Returning to the sample "avi" movie uploaded to Vimeo, it contains two movie

clips and a slide show, including pan and zoom.  This is typical of my main

project.

The links and some comments about each are as follows:

1.   The uploaded sample avi file is representative of my problematic

DVD project and is titled "Jitter on Movie Clips 1"

(Note:  These are home movies from a 12MP still camera and

there is some hand movement, but this is not what I'm referring to as the jitter

problem.  It is apparent as one watches the full 51 sec. uploaded movie.)

www.vimeo.com/20985109                                       

2.  I have also uploaded the first clip in the above avi file, as

viewed on AE 7, without jitter.  It is MOV03005.mpg and titled on Vimeo

"MOV03005.mpg from 'Jitter on Movie Clips 1' ".  When I viewed it on Vimeo, I

saw some "jitter" that didn't show up in full screen viewing with AE 7, but

definitively not as much as in the main avi file or main project.  I didn't know

if it might be worthwhile to see the original "mpg" file.

www.vimeo.com/20989075       

3.  I have also uploaded the second clip in the above avi file, as

viewed on AE 7, without jitter.  It is MOV03003.mpg and titled on Vimeo

"MOV03005.mpg from 'Jitter on Movie Clips 1' ".  I didn't know if it might be

worthwhile to see the original "mpg" file.

www.vimeo.com/20989420   

I hope this helps.

Thanks again to everyone!

Ed

• 20. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen

That definitely helps clarify, Ed.

Now what model of camera or camcorder did your video come from?

• 21. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
                                                  Ed C Jake Level 1

We used a Sony Cybershot DSC-W200 still camera.

Ed

• 22. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen

That could be the issue!

The online specs say this is MPEG footage. Is it? Do the files you download from the camcorder come in as MPEGs?

If so, you should be able to start a Premiere Elements project using the Hard Drive Camcorder 640x480 project settings (NOT the DV project settings) and get great, jitter free results.

• 23. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
                                                      Ed C Jake Level 1

The files downloaded from my still camera come in as MPG files. 

Are MPG and MPEG the same in this case?  We use the "Fine 640" setting on the

camera.

Is the "NTSC-Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorders-Standard 48kHz" the same as

the "Hard Drive Camcorder 640x480 project setting" mentioned in your last

reply?  Premier Elements didn't mention "640x480" in any of the settings.

Assuming they are the same, I created a new project using a few movie clips from

my problematic project, with the 

NTSC-Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorders-Standard 48kHz setting 

and after rendering, the preview unfortunately exhibited the same

jitter.              

Ed

• 24. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen

Yes, you should be using the NTSC Standard or Widescreen Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorder preset with no other modifications.

At least that's assuming that camera is providing us true MPG files, as the online specs claim. Sometimes these non-DSLR cameras use codecs that aren't standard at all -- and if that's the case, you may not be able to edit this video at all in Premiere Elements.

In any event, are you saying that you definitely  used this project preset and when you, say, output a WMV (Share/Computer/WMV), it still jitters?

If that's the case, we may truly have hit the wall at this point. As I've said, this non-DSLR cameras generally don't produce a video format that's editable in Premiere Elements.

So if this preset doesn't work, it may well be that you're stuck editing this video with the software that comes with the camcorder. Sorry.

• 25. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
                                                          Ed C Jake Level 1

I used the "NTSC-Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorders-Standard 48kHz" preset with

no modifications.

In my last reply, when I had looked at the rendered version it was still in PE7

and not exported.  I will try the Share/Compute/WMV output but can't find it. 

This is what I just tried:

I hit the Share button and selected the NTSC DVD Standard option which gives

me a frame size of 720x480 vs. the 640x480 project setting and a frame rate of

29.97 drop frame.  I saved it and tried to play back on Windows Media Player 11

and it didn't work at all.  I heard the audio and it locked onto one frame.

How do I save the WMV file so it works in Windows Media Player?

Ed

Yes, you should be using the NTSC Standard or Widescreen Hard Disk, Flash Memory

Camcorder preset with no other modifications.

At least that's assuming that camera is providing us true MPG files, as the

online specs claim. Sometimes these non-DSLR cameras use codecs that aren't

standard at all -- and if that's the case, you may not be able to edit this

video at all in Premiere Elements.

In any event, are you saying that you definitely  used this project preset and

when you, say, output a WMV (Share/Computer/WMV), it still jitters?

If that's the case, we may truly have hit the wall at this point. As I've said,

this non-DSLR cameras generally don't produce a video format that's editable in

Premiere Elements.

• 26. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen

Are you saying that, under your Share tab, there is not an output to Personal Computer or My Computer -- and that, under the Personal Computer/My Computer option, there isn't a Windows Media/WMV output option?

• 27. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
                                                              Ed C Jake Level 1

The WMV option was out of sight and missed since I had to scroll down to it(I

had never used it) and I've found it.  I will redo the output test and get back

with the results.

Ed

• 28. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
                                                                David__B Adobe Employee

Hey Ed,

Looks like you are getting closer. It sure sounds like it is somehow related to the movie clips. If it were me, I would do additional testing around those movie clips (sounds like you already started this). Also, uploading the clips to Vimeo was awesome, it really helps to be able to actually see the issue. I think Steve's suggestions are great. I was thinking along the same lines. Even though the same workflow worked previously something obviously changed now with it not working.

Here would be my suggestion for a possible workaround:

- Start a new blank project with the NTSC preset, PAR shouldn't really matter, so Widescreen would be fine

- Import just one of the movie clips

- Place it on the timeline

- Export it as a DV AVI, using Share > PC > DV AVI Widescreen

Playback the resulting exported movie file to see if it has the issue, if it appears okay, output the project to DVD using the 4.7 Folder option and playback to the DVD from the HD to see if it has the issue.

If it doesn't, replace the original movie clip in the original project with this DV AVI version and see if it resolves the issue. If this works you would have to do the same process for all of the movie clips. It will be a little time consuming but at least it will help get the project finished.

Good luck, hope you get it resolved,

Dave

• 29. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
                                                                  Ed C Jake Level 1

Steve,

I just came home (11:45PM) and created a small 4-movie-clip project.  It was

late, but I couldn't wait all day to try your suggestion.

It was exported using the Share tab/PC/WMV and played in Windows Media Player.  

The jitter was gone!  This is wonderful!!!

Ed

• 30. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen

That's great news, Ed!

Although it does also seem to indicate that the problem is clearly with your DVD discs or your DVD player.

• 31. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
                                                                      Ed C Jake Level 1

Steve,

I don't understand why the jitter problem could be caused by the DVD discs or

the DVD player since the jitter occurs on the "avi" file uploaded to Vimeo as

well as all other options we've tried when viewed on PE 7. None of these options

involved DVDs.  The only approach w/o jitter was your suggestion of exporting

using the Share tab/PC/WMV and playing in Windows Media Player.  

Since the project worked w/o jitter when converted to WMV format, how would I

build on that to make a DVD for TV?

Ed

• 32. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
                                                                        David__B Adobe Employee

Hey Ed,

You might just confirm that the wmv still doesn't have the jitter when converted to DVD, so long as it doesn't, create wmv's for all of the original movie clips using the same method, and then replace all of them with the new wmv's in your original project.

Dave

• 33. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
                                                                          Ed C Jake Level 1

David,

I did the following per your recommendation:

- Started a new blank project with the NTSC-Hard Disk, Flash Memory

Camcorders-Widescreen 48kHz preset.  

- Imported one movie clip

- Placed it on the timeline

- Exported it as a DV AVI, using Share > PC > DV AVI Widescreen

Unfortuneately, it still shows jitter in the playback using Windows Media Player

Ed

• 34. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
                                                                            David__B Adobe Employee

Hi Ed,

Might try the same workflow but export the WMV's that did work rather than the DV AVI's. You would want to confirm the jitter doesn't come back when outputting the WMV to DVD.

Let us know if that works

-Dave

• 35. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
                                                                              Ed C Jake Level 1

David and Steve,

I tried several things today:

1.  Per David's suggestion, I took the WMVs movie clips and created a sample

project, exporting to DVD using WMV export.  It exported without the jitter,

however, the quality/sharpness of the video is noticeably diminished.

2.  I put PE 7 on a more powerful Windows 7 computer and created a sample PE 7

project using the original movie clips.  The results are similar to the results

viewed on my computer:

a.  Jitter in the rendered project when played in PE 7.

b.  Exporting to PC using the MPEG or DV AVI formats resulted in jitter

when viewed with Windows Media Player.

c.  Exporting to PC using the WMV format resulted in a NO jitter when

viewed with Windows Media Player OR burned to DVD using Share/Disc

Burn/NTSC_Dolby DVD, but with noticeable loss of sharpness in the video.

Questions:

1.  Will WMV files have poorer quality than "avi" files (for example) since

the size of the WMV file is much smaller than an avi file...and I assume less

data points?

Any thoughts on these results?

Thanks,

Ed 

• 36. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
                                                                                nealeh Level 5

Another cook joining the kitchen (see reply #18)!

toomanycooks.jpg

You've been receiving lots of good advice but, unless I've missed it, you have not been asked to analyse your source footage with either GSpot or MediaInfo. Please could you do so and post a screen image of the output.

Cheers,
                                                                                --
                                                                                Neale
                                                                                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 37. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
                                                                                  Ed C Jake Level 1
                                                                                  Neale,
                                                                                  That's a great point.  I've started to wonder about my originals, too, and planned to borrow a friend's digitial still camera this weekend to take some movie clips.  It's a brute force way of addressing it, but I don't know how to do it technically as I hope you can do with my GSpot screen shots below.
                                                                                  The following are copies of the GSpot screen image for three of my original mpg movie clips, including the three uploaded to Vimeo.  If this is not what you want, please let me know and I'll try again.  Please scroll down as there is separation between screen shots and I hope they are readable.
                                                                                        Thanks,   Ed
                                                                                  GSpot MOV03003.jpg
                                                                                  GSpot MOV02888.jpgGSpot MOV03005.jpg
                                                                                  • 38. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
                                                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, MPEG-1 is a very old, and seldom used compression CODEC. If one Imports that, and then Exports/Shares to another heavily-compressed format/CODEC, like MPEG-2, then there almost will certainly be artifacts, and distortions, especially with any off-axis motion, either camera, or subject.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 39. Re: Movie Jitter After Burning to DVD NTSC-Widescreen
                                                                                      nealeh Level 5

Ed,

As Bill says MPEG1 is pretty ancient and generally considered no better than VCR quality. You might care to look at this FAQ entry and try some of the conversion methods described there: What tools can I use to convert my video to DV-AVI?

Cheers,
                                                                                      --
                                                                                      Neale
                                                                                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 2 Previous Next