8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2011 10:08 AM by s.mahn

Jump layer below current

s.mahn Level 2

I'd love a keystroke combination (Cmd+Sft+J ?) that allows me to jump a selection/layer below the current layer.

This would be helpful in the creation of shadows and reflections for product shots.

• 1. Re: Jump layer below current
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

I’m not opposed to the feature, but one should be able to Script that (maybe even make an Action) and apply a Shortcut to that at current.

• 2. Re: Jump layer below current
            s.mahn Level 2

It's really simpler to have a related keystroke. Unless, perhaps they opened up the range keystrokes that can be attached to actions.

• 3. Re: Jump layer below current
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

A Script could be assigned any Keyboard Shortcut.

• 4. Re: Jump layer below current
                s.mahn Level 2

Ugh, to scripts.

And I freelance at different locations, so my preference is Adobe writes this one and includes it in the box.

But thanks for the info, good to know.

• 5. Re: Jump layer below current
                  c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Still, if you ever want to give it a try, paste the following text into a new file in ExtendScript Toolkit (part of Photoshop’s installation, Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities/ExtendScript Toolkit CS4 or /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities-CS5/ExtendScript Toolkit CS5) and save it as a jsx-file into Photoshop’s Presets/Scripts-folder.

After restarting Photoshop the Script should be available under File > Scripts and can be assigned a Keyboard Shortcut directly, recorded into an Action, (in CS4 and CS5) be used in a Configurator-Panel or started from ExtendScript Toolkit directly.

// 2011, use at your own risk;
                  #target photoshop
                  if (app.documents.length > 0 && app.activeDocument.activeLayer.isBackgroundLayer == false) {
                  try {
                  app.activeDocument.suspendHistory("Layer Via Copy Below", "main ()")
                  }
                  catch (e) {}
                  };
                  ////// function //////
                  function main () {
                  var myDocument = app.activeDocument;
                  var theLayer = myDocument.activeLayer;
                  // layer via copy;
                  var id14 = charIDToTypeID( "CpTL" );
                  executeAction( id14, undefined, DialogModes.NO );
                  // move back;
                  myDocument.activeLayer.move (theLayer, ElementPlacement.PLACEAFTER)
                  };

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Jump layer below current
                    s.mahn Level 2

That is extremely generous of you, my friend.

Ctrl+Opt+Cmd+J  it is, works a charm.

Cheers.

• 7. Re: Jump layer below current
                      c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

You’re welcome.

And I understand that having to work on different stations makes such customizations of disputable value.

• 8. Re: Jump layer below current
                        s.mahn Level 2

I love the speed and simpicty of your script for that function, but to extend the functionality to additional layer moves, another thought would be for Adobe to put a checkbox to place any new layer below the current one in the new layer dialog box.

Probably no faster than creating a layer above and dragging it down, unless one gets in the habit of naming layers at that time.