14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2011 1:47 PM by davidbeisner2010

CS5 crashes when previewing some photos

BFVguy

First time this has happened. I'm working with rather small client provided photos 477x640; jpeg, gif, etc. and suddenly when I dragged a jpeg over to the preview the entire system crashed right down to the blue system screen. I run CS5 on a HP Z800, 6 core, 12 gigs RAM, Win 7 64 bit and it's been generally stable thus far. Here's the kicker, if I drag the photo directly to the timeline, the system doesn't crash. Doesn't matter if I turn off the GPU Accelerator or not. The crash happens only loading the picture in the preview window. This doesn't happen on all photos just some. I even brought the photo into Photoshop with no problem, saved it as a PSD, but the crash still happens in Premiere Pro CS5. Anybody know why?

I think this is a CS5 only issue because on another computer (HPxw8400, 8 gigs RAM, Win 7 64 bit) running CS3 that same photo does not crash the system loading into the preview window.

At the moment, my work around is to not load the photos into the preview window.

• 1. Re: CS5 crashes when previewing some photos
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

A BSOD is most often caused by either a hardware issue, or perhaps a driver issue. They are serious events. This ARTICLE might offer tips on things to look for.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: CS5 crashes when previewing some photos
            Colin Brougham Level 6

Have you identified any common properties among the files that cause the crash? For example, is it only JPEGs? Do they have the same size or DPI?

I've had some crashes before with some photos (though not a bluescreen that I can recall), and they were related to the GPU. It was partly an nVidia issue and partly an Adobe issue; I understand the Adobe issue has been addressed. I know you mentioned it happens in software rendering mode, as well, but the GPU could still be the culprit. Have you checked that your GPU drivers are up-to-date?

• 3. Re: CS5 crashes when previewing some photos
              BFVguy Level 1

Here's a little wrinkle. I loaded CS3 onto the same computer and don't have the issue. So it doesn't appear to be a hardware issue, or at least not a hardware issue relating to CS3. Same drivers, same Nvidia 4800 card, etc. And in CS5, even after I drag the photo to the timeline and work with it, like change a motion setting, a few minutes later CS5 closes abruptly. So something in the CS5 software doesn't like something with these certain photos, even after I convert the photo to PSD. A friend suggested I make sure the photo is RGB, which I will try.

• 4. Re: CS5 crashes when previewing some photos
                Colin Brougham Level 6

So it doesn't appear to be a hardware issue, or at least not a hardware issue relating to CS3. Same drivers, same Nvidia 4800 card, etc.

That's my point; CS5 is a different beast than CS3, by many accounts. Remember that CS5 is a 64-bit application whereas CS3 is 32-bit, so the two applications are using hardware in a different way.

Just converting to PSD might not, and probably won't, correct the issue. The actual parameters of the files are more important in this case.

• 5. Re: CS5 crashes when previewing some photos
                  BFVguy Level 1

Thanks for the articles, Bill, all good info, but don't think it's anything other than a CS5 issue since I have no such issue using CS3 on the same machine and everything else in CS5 and other projects have performed well.

• 6. Re: CS5 crashes when previewing some photos
                    BFVguy Level 1

Ah, very true, Colin. Since CS3 is running 32 bit and CS5 is running 64 bit I suppose there must be something in those differences, drivers, etc. to create a 64 bit issue possibly. However, I don't see anything in the file that would stand out. The photos are small and all of the 72 DPI. Their sizes vary but all under 600x600. What other parameters would one look for in the photos?

• 7. Re: CS5 crashes when previewing some photos
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Same drivers, same Nvidia 4800 card

OK... which driver version?

And, what are "all" of the settings within that driver control panel?

• 8. Re: CS5 crashes when previewing some photos
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

The color mode would be one thing; RGB is the best, though Premiere will accept indexed (e.g. GIF) images and generally just rejects CMYK. You can't even import those, so you wouldn't have gotten to the point you are if that was the problem. It's possible there is some other less-common color mode at work, though.

Did you discover if there was only one specific file type causing the crash? Maybe an extension was inadvertently changed or applied that doesn't actually reflect the image type, e.g. GIF extension with JPG data. That's a stretch...

If you can replicate this with only some specific images, you may have stumbled upon a legitimate bug. That's why I suggested attempting to discern if there was a common thread amongst these. It would also possibly explain why simply saving as a PSD still causes the crash; PSDs are sort of like container files and don't fundamentally change the content they hold. Perhaps saving to something like a TIF file would yield better results, as you should be forcing a data "rewrite" in that case.

If you can find the common thread, and isolate it to a few graphics, I'd suggest filing a bug report: Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 9. Re: CS5 crashes when previewing some photos
                          BFVguy Level 1

John, Nvidia FX4800 using driver 8.17.12.5957. Using default settings. What settings would I be looking for?

• 10. Re: CS5 crashes when previewing some photos
                            BFVguy Level 1

Colin, the original photo was 8 bit RGB JPEG. I converted to a

TIF but it still crashed in CS5.

• 11. Re: CS5 crashes when previewing some photos
                              Colin Brougham Level 6

Well, that's weird...

Hmm... get the latest nVidia drivers for your card here: NVIDIA Driver Downloads

Also, just to check: is Premiere Pro fully updated to 5.0.3? I don't recall a specific issue like this in earlier point releases, but that's not to say something wasn't fixed.

• 12. Re: CS5 crashes when previewing some photos
                                BFVguy Level 1

Yeah Colin, looks like I could load the lastest Nvidia driver. I am using CS5 5.0.3.

What I just did was load each photo one at a time to see which photos trigger the crash. After loading 14 good photos (JPGs and GIFs) I came across two other photos, BMPs this time, that crashed the system. It too is a RGB 8 bit file. So no discerning trait among them. It seems most of the JPGs and GIF have no issue. All I can think of is that perhaps these few photos are somehow corrupt, but only the 64 bit Premiere Pro CS5 brings this to light. Can't say I've found a bug or not, or if it's just something wrong with these few files that CS5 doesn't like.

All these photos came to me online from the client's computer via YouSendIt.com. I believe suspect files came through in different batches with other good files, so can't really blame an upload issue.

I don't think there are any viruses involved. I've scanned everything with my AVG and no issue found. Not that all viruses come to light in every anti-virus program though.

For now, I think I'll just work in CS3 and try to trouble shoot further later.

If anyone would like this photo to test on their system, let me know.

Thanks, guys.

• 13. Re: CS5 crashes when previewing some photos
                                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Thanks for the detail, Alan--that helps.

I'd be happy to look at the photos, if you don't mind sharing them. Feel free to PM me a link.

• 14. Re: CS5 crashes when previewing some photos
                                    davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Same here... PM me a link as well and I'll test for you. I've got two separate systems to test on if need-be.

FWIW, I ran into an issue with a PSD supplied to me by my graphic designer the other day... It didn't crash PrPro, but it refused to open. I even went into PS and "duplicated" the image and saved it fresh and it still gave me issues. I needed the individual layers, so couldn't try jpg or gif as an alternative. Ultimately I was able to get around the problem by opening the affected file in PS, creating a new file from scratch that was the same image size as the original, and then dragging the layers to my new file and saving it. PrPro had no issues with the new file.