7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2011 6:53 AM by mtr42

problems with render/export

mtr42

I'm working in Premiere Elements 9 on a work computer (large network, limited privileges, Windows XP) and having trouble on multiple fronts, but they may all be related.

When I try to render timeline, I get: Invalid Scratch Disk path for Video Previews. Please change it to another location.

When I export Mpeg or Wmv, it works but the files contain good video with no audio.

When I try to export AVI or Quicktime, I get: Error Compiling Movie. Unknown Error.

When the program Auto-saves, I get: An unknown error occurred while saving the project. Select "Save As" from the File menu to save the project to a new location. I have no problems when I just click Save.

When I open a project, I get: The scratch disks are write protected or unavailable. To open this project, the scratch disks will be set to your My Documents folder. Would you like to continue? (I continue and everything works more or less fine until I try to do any of the above.)

I've been through the forums and attached articles and haven't found anything that changes anything. I asked IT to install a megapack of codecs, thinking that was where I was getting the audio problem, but it had no effect. I haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling since it's a bit of a hassle with my limited IT privileges.

It seems like a Scratch disk problem, i.e., not enough space or speed, but I'm not sure that explains everything. And if it is, what's the solution, an external scratch disk? I didn't think that would be necessary with a consumer-level program like Elements.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: problems with render/export
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1 - no version of Premiere, not even PPro CS5, is designed to work with networked files

2 - all versions of Premiere require full Administrator rights to work properly

3 - installing a "megapack" of codecs will sometimes BREAK Premiere, since the internal priority settings are over-written by the "megapack" making it so Premiere is not able to correctly work with the codecs that it needs

• 2. Re: problems with render/export
            mtr42 Level 1

Thanks John. I've only been workign with files on my desktop, so I don't think the network is the problem. Would lack of administrator rights interfere the scratch disk? Also, I've noticed no change either way since the codec installation, but I can uninstall and try again.

All totaled, it sounds as if your #2 point, adminstrator privileges, is the likely culprit? Does this mean Premiere is useless to me at work without them?

• 3. Re: problems with render/export
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with John T., that part of your issues will be due to the networked environmnet.

When I export Mpeg or Wmv, it works but the files contain good video with no audio.

The most common cause for this is that one did not set Multiplexing to DVD, and it is still set to None, which will produce one Audio-only and one Video-only files, and not one muxed (combined Audio & Video) file. Check your Multiplexer tab, and let us know what that is set to.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: problems with render/export
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Would lack of administrator rights interfere the scratch disk?

Yes... also, for help with Microsoft messages, search at

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

A message about write permissions is coming from Microsoft

• 5. Re: problems with render/export
                  mtr42 Level 1

Thanks again. I've gone through and checked Multiplexing settings for all codecs and, wherever applicable, it is activated. (I never get a separate audio file, just one video file with no audio when I output MPEG or WMV. I always check to ensure Export Audio toggle is checked if applicable as well.)

Yes... also, for help with Microsoft messages, search at

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

A message about write permissions is coming from Microsoft

I have no idea what this means.

• 6. Re: problems with render/export
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Then there is something wrong with either your Audio source file(s), or your Export/Share Settings. Can you give us the full details of each?

Or, you have the Audio, perhaps Muted, or the Volume turned way down?

Are any of your Audio files MP3's?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: problems with render/export
                      mtr42 Level 1

Player volume is definitely not on mute or way down. I have been careful to check that every time.

Audio plays fine in the premiere timeline. I haven't been using any separate audio files, but audio that is already included in the previous video files. I have tried working multiple different source files. All work fine in timeline but output badly.

The wmv files that I export are not completely silent - If you listen closely there is a fast ticking or crackling noise.