7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2011 11:20 AM by Peter Spier RSS

InDesign CS4: Missing Toolbars/Menus

FetchingLauren

InDesign CS4: Missing Toolbars/Menus on MacBook Pro

The program has been working fine for more than year, but all of a sudden the menus and toolbars have disappeared and I can't find a way to turn them back on. The program is USELESS without them since you can't do anything.

Everything is  turned on (visible) under Edit > Menus... but when you're working in the actual program, NOTHING!

When opening .indd files in InDesign I get a missing plug-ins error (LILO.APLN) and then this warning appears: The following hyphenation services are not installed on this system - Proximity (English: USA). Uh, watchu talkin' bout InDesign?

1    I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software
          2    I've tried reseting my preferences (http://forums.adobe.com/message/2339388)
          4    I've tried installing the latest update (6.0.6)
          5    Keyboard shortcuts do not work to restore the menus
          6    I changed the screen resolution to see if the toolbars were hiding of screen...

and guess what? They weren't!

I don't believe it is a problem with the permissions since there is only one user account on this computer and it is an administrator account. No changes have been made to the user profiles since the machine was first set up!

This sounded EXACTLY like the problem I am having (http://indesignsecrets.com/rebuilding-indesign-preferences.php), but the solution (download the 6.0.4 patch) is not going to fix things for me ~ if 6.0.6 didn't clear it up, 6.0.4 sure as hell ain't gonna do it

Oh, and I'm a total novice when it come to troubleshooting (I don't have a f*cking clue what I'm doing and have only gotten this far thanks to my limited ability to Google -- hooray for opposable thumbs!... also, I tried calling Adobe tech support and I couldn't understand a single word of what that guy was saying... the only thing that came out clear was "you're gonna have to pay for help or seek it out in the forums").

So if you've got any advise that might help solve my InDesign issues, please explain it as you would to a child... seriously

THANKS!

Lauren