15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2011 11:03 AM by robirdman1

exporting in PP

robirdman1 Level 1

I added 2 avi files to a new project in CS5, trimmed some unwanted parts and then exported the sequence.  I had wanted to render first but pressing enter just started playback, whether I was in a monitor or on the track.  After exporting as AVI, I viewed the result in media browser and found that it is dimensionally about half the size of the original avi files.  I checked back in PP and it was playing back at full resolution so that doesn't seem to have caused it.

Also all the information associated with the original AVI files is gone , name of subject, location date etc.  Was there a way to keep that?

I see why now.  As a Microsoft AVI it is 720x480 instead of the 1280x720 of my original Nikon digital camera files.  What is the signficance?  It seems that the file size is about as big as or bigger than I would expect from adding the 2 files while cutting out some.

So far I am just trying to archive the footage I want without the unwanted stuff wasting HD space.

• 1. Re: exporting in PP
          Jim_Simon Level 8

You're better off just keeping the originals.  Hard drive space is cheap.  Editing requires lots of it.  If you need more, buy more.

• 2. Re: exporting in PP
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Just a guess here, but your Nikon is probably shooting with the MJPEG CODEC, and from the Frame Size listed, in 720i, or 720p. For a bit more info on MJPEG, see this ARTICLE.

You will want to use a Project Preset that matches your source footage, and CS5 makes that very easy. Just Import a Clip into a Project, and then drag it to the New Icon, at the bottom of the Project Panel, where a New Sequence will be created for you.

Now, choosing what you Export to, can be a bit of a trick. You do not want to compress that material any more, as you will be using it for editing later. A lossless CODEC, like Lagarith Lossless, or UT Lossless would be my choice. The file sizes will be large, but as Jim points out, that is just a fact of life with video editing. You CAN compress to smaller files, but quality WILL suffer.

It looks like you chose DV-AVI for the Export, and that will reduce the Frame Size to 720x 480, which is not what you want to do.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: exporting in PP
              Colin Brougham Level 6
              As a Microsoft AVI it is 720x480 instead of the 1280x720 of my original Nikon digital camera files.  What is the signficance?  It seems that the file size is about as big as or bigger than I would expect from adding the 2 files while cutting out some.

Sounds like you're working in a DV AVI sequence (or exporting to DV AVI), and I'd assume your originals are H.264 (I'm guessing MOV containers). DV is locked at 720x480, so you won't be able to match the frame size by putting this stuff in such a sequence or exporting to such a file. The bitrate of the originals is probably lower than DV's (25Mbps), so that would explain the larger file size.

Depending on the source codec, and depending on what you actually want to do as far as an export, Premiere might not do what you need. If you want to keep the original dimensions and not re-encode the file, you might find MPEG Streamclip (free) or QuickTime Pro (not free) useful. Both of these will allow you trim, join, and resave the joined files as a new one without any reencoding.

If I'm misunderstanding what you'd like to do, please advise.

• 4. Re: exporting in PP
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                from the Frame Size listed, in 720i,

As a point of interest, there are no 720i formats.  All 720 formats will be progressive.

• 5. Re: exporting in PP
                  robirdman1 Level 1

I currently have about 14 hard drives.  I liked to keep related subjects together.  One drive devoted to bird images goes into the red when I download new images, so I am going through thousands of species folders one at a time and refining them by deleting excess duplication and images that have been superceded by better ones.  These are 99% still images. But as I have started adding videos, they are so much bigger that it makes sense to get rid of a lot of totally useless stuff such as the beginnings where the tripod shakes, and when the subject leaves, as well as redundancy.  I am making an effort to get rid of junk not just make more room for it.

I had no idea that it would prove to be a major problem to just trim a video.  I thought that with a multi-hundred dollar program like PP, it would be as easy as cropping a picture in Photoshop.  I see now  that I could have done trimming in the Nikon D300s camera, but I downloaded all videos with the still and they are in the respective species folders. I suppose I could put them back on the memory card and edit in the camera, but this doesn't seem the best way with such a small screen.  Perhaps the Nikon software will do it on the computer.  I never bothered to install it, using Photoshop all the time.

• 6. Re: exporting in PP
                    robirdman1 Level 1

As you suggested, I downloaded, MPEG Streamclip, but all I seem to be able to do is start and stop the clip.  I don't see any controls to mark any points or cut.  The associated guide says to drag the playhead, but I don't even see what this is.

• 7. Re: exporting in PP
                      shooternz Level 6
                      I had no idea that it would prove to be a major problem to just trim a video. 

Well its not a problem at all and its is as easy as pie to do.

Set and in and out point on the source clip.  Put the section in the timeline and export it.

Matching your Project (sequence) setting to your source material is key.

Its your choice what you want to export it as.

• 8. Re: exporting in PP
                        Level 4

are you by any chance roberto ? imbirdman ? just curious

• 9. Re: exporting in PP
                          robirdman1 Level 1

Thanks for your informative replies.

I think I am understanding somewhat better.  Is it analagous to Camera Raw files, where they are not usually altered and when you make a tiff from them that is more editable, it is a much larger file.

I read the article and downloaded G-spot.  It says that this AVI file' video is MJPG.and the audio is PCM audio.

It first said that there were 164 codecs loaded on this laptop.

I downloaded Nikons NX2 software when they told me I would be able to trim and save the avi files, but then they became files.

I haven't yet tried the in-camera trimming, requiring saving the file back to a memory card.

• 10. Re: exporting in PP
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you. Did not look right, but was one the telephone and Fed-X had just arrived - I let it go. Mea culpa.

Hunt

• 11. Re: exporting in PP
                              robirdman1 Level 1

I found that using Nikon's NX2 software, the AVI file is saved as an MOV file.

I don't know if this is of any lesser quality - how they compare.  The dimensions are the same (1280720) I would like to know if their is any loss other than the trim before archiving and deleting the originals.

If I trim in the D300s camera, then it is saved as an AVI file, but I would prefer not to have to edit on the small camera screen and load all my previous ones to memory cards to view in the camera.

• 12. Re: exporting in PP
                                Colin Brougham Level 6
                                I would like to know if their is any loss other than the trim before archiving and deleting the originals.

Hard to say; depending on how the software works, it might just trim the video and audio streams and rewrap them, or it might actually reencode. Using the software, convert one of the originals into an MOV (don't edit--just convert), and import both the original and the duplicate into Premiere. Put one above the other in a sequence, making sure they are synced up. On the top clip, go into the Effects Control Panel, and change the Blending Mode (under Opacity) to Difference. If all you see is black in the Program monitor, you're golden--there was no reencoding. You can also set the Program Monitor view to Y/C waveform; if there is nothing but a solid line at 0IRE, you can be assured that no pixels changed.

I finally found some test clips (actually from a D90, but it's the same file format), and can confirm that I can trim and join multiple AVIs in MPEG Streamclip, and then save to a new AVI without any recompression. If you'd like to see a short (and rather unpolished) tutorial, let me know and I'll do a quick screen recording.

• 13. Re: exporting in PP
                                  robirdman1 Level 1

Thanks much for the help.  I would like to see the tutorial.  I used the PEG Streamclip on a bunch of practice drumming videos that I made.  IT was so simple to trim ends and cut out pieces of the middle.  The only problem was that the video and audio are not synced well so I can't be very precise if I wanted to do it with exact timing with more important videos.  But this is just an artifact of that software as when I play the shortened video in PP, all is in sync.  I could not notice any difference in quality and the file size of the videos appears about what I would expect after removing the unwanted parts.  They do lose the image metadata info, which had been input into the originals such as location. description, date, etc.  In most cases I could this again but for some reason, in a couple, I got the message that this data could not be added.

I can't understand why an expensive program like PP would not have a capability that a freeware one would, and result in the suggestion to just buy more hard drives and keep a lot of unwanted footage. This is a much better solution for me. I gained many gigabytes of hard drive space and will never have to look at what I deleted, again.

I haven'r yet tried the MOV comparison test that you suggested, with the more serious video of some other stuff.  I also want to try it with the MPEG Streamclip where if I save with a new name and no modification.

• 14. Re: exporting in PP
                                    robirdman1 Level 1

I tried the blending method with an original AVI file with one saved unchanged in MPEG Streamclip and it was all black, so that was great.  It worked with no loss.  Then I rough edited parts I didn't want and greatly reduced the size of the file and resaved.

My Cubase 6 software arrived and I marked the beats of the whole video, which was a drumming session.  Then I carefully cut out more parts that I didn't want, exactly on measures or beats.  It seemed that I had to export as an OMF to save both the audio and video so I did that and then expected to be able to open it in PP, but couldn't.  Is this not possible?

• 15. Re: exporting in PP
                                      robirdman1 Level 1

I see that with Streamclip, the new file reated loses all the metadata previously entered, such as date and location.

Sometimes, for reason that I don't understand, I can't even enter data into the original AVI files.

Does Quicktime Pro delete entered metadata?  I especially don't like losing the original date the video was taken.