11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2011 1:46 PM by RavenMouse

Dynamic Link woes...

RavenMouse

I have CS5 Production Premium.  When I first installed it, I had CS3 also on the same computer.  Recently, though I couldn't tell you precisely when this happened, my Dynamic Link "connections" have been broken.  What I mean is that, for example, if I choose "Dynamic Link> Replace with After Effects Composition" in Premiere, I get "Dynamic Link requires CS Production Premium"!  Okay, not too much of a mystery, as I did uninstall CS3 a little while ago and that probably screwed something up.  However, researching the problem I ran across the suggestion to DE-Activate and then RE-activate CS5 to fix Dynamic Link.  It did not work, but I discovered something I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else...

After deactivating CS5, I opened Premiere (getting ready to reactivate).  I hit the wrong button, and opned Premiere as a trial.  Since I was already in the program, I decided to try the Dynamic Link.  It worked FINE!  Happy, I closed Premiere, stated it up again, and this time re-entered my Serial Number.  It took, reactivated CS5 for me and life seemed good, but...  I tried the "Replace with AE Compostion" command again, and got the "... requires CS Production Premium" error again!!

I don't get why I would need to do a full CS5 removal and re-installation if Dynamic Link works in the trial mode!

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

- Jim 8^)

• 1. Re: Dynamic Link woes...
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Whatever logic or lack of there may be in using DL, your best option is to deactivate, ununstall with Clean Script CS5 and re-install.

• 2. Re: Dynamic Link woes...
            RavenMouse Level 1

"Whatever logic or lack of there may be in using DL,"

May I gather that you are not a fan of Dynamic Link?  If so, why not?

• 3. Re: Dynamic Link woes...
              RavenMouse Level 1

This follow-up question is open to anyone...

If I go the un-install/clean/re-install route, is there a way to save the various personalizations I've made since installing CS5?  (Things like customized keyboard shortcuts for Premiere & PhotoShop, certain styles in PhotoShop, etc.)

• 4. Re: Dynamic Link woes...
                rejdmast1 Level 2

"May I gather that you are not a fan of Dynamic Link?  If so, why not?"

The idea of Dynamic is nice but I have read so many problems about it compared to

problems about PP CS5.  PP CS5 is very stable and Dynamic link should be just as stable.

Now that PP is 64 bit there is no reason for Adobe not to roll PP and AE into one big program.

Let's face it, you really can't do anything but basic effects with PP.  You really need AE to do anything

if you are charging people money.  FCP basically has the same problems - it needs AE or Motion.

FCP is set to launch a new update. I have no idea what will be in it but if Adobe rolls PP and AE

into one program, FCP will not have a chance.

I would love to hear Adobe's thoughts on this.  I hope they are not just keeping them separate to make more money.

• 5. Re: Dynamic Link woes...
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Now that PP is 64 bit there is no reason for Adobe not to roll PP and AE into one big program.

Let's face it, you really can't do anything but basic effects with PP.  You really need AE to do anything

if you are charging people money.  FCP basically has the same problems - it needs AE or Motion.

FCP is set to launch a new update. I have no idea what will be in it but if Adobe rolls PP and AE

into one program, FCP will not have a chance.

I would love to hear Adobe's thoughts on this.  I hope they are not just keeping them separate to make more money.

[diatribe]

You're kidding, right? They are totally different tools with largely totally different purposes--and yes, I realize there is a lot of overlap. Merging Premiere and AE is a horrible idea--not that it will happen in 100 million years. Doing something like that would be akin to merging Microsoft Word and Excel into one application.

And really---using FCP as a barometer for what Premiere/AE should do is ludicrous. The reason I use Premiere and AE is because they are NOT FCP. Who cares if FCP "has a chance?" Really, we're down to the point of rooting for NLEs like they're sports teams? Give me a break. Just use the tool and get on with it.

[/diatribe]

• 6. Re: Dynamic Link woes...
                    joe bloe premiere Level 5
                    Doing something like that would be akin to merging Microsoft Word and Excel into one application.

Doing something like that would be akin to discreet fire.

After many years working in a fire suite, I think it was the most
                    fluid workflow I have ever had the pleasure to experience.
                    Of course, the price tag for an onyx 2 workstation plus software
                    is still a bit steep for a freelancer like me.

• 7. Re: Dynamic Link woes...
                      rejdmast1 Level 2

"After many years working in a fire suite, I think it was the most
                      fluid workflow I have ever had the pleasure to experience."

I agree with you Joe.  I edited with a Smoke for 4 years and it was

wonderful to have all the correct tools under one roof.  Fusion and Generation

also put a lot of tools under one roof.

I don't think some people are aware of what is out there for seamless editing and effects.

Here is a very interesting article by Stu Maschwitz with his

argument for combining the two programs:

http://prolost.com/blog/2008/10/1/what-should-adobe-do-with-premiere-pro.html

Also, read the comments at the end of the article - a lot of people agree with him.

• 8. Re: Dynamic Link woes...

Here is a very interesting article by Stu Maschwitz with his

argument for combining the two programs:

http://prolost.com/blog/2008/10/1/what-should-adobe-do-with-premiere-p ro.htm

Great article.  Thanks for the link... makes me miss the discreet interface.

If they made smoke off-the-shelf and affordable, I'd be on it in a minute!

• 9. Re: Dynamic Link woes...
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

" It’s intuitive, especially for simple things..."

That's about the oddest thing I've ever heard anyone say about After Effects.  That program is so UNinfuitive, even for the simplest of actions.  Moving a frame ahead, for example.  In pretty much every program that exists, from NLEs to Media Players, you use the Left and Right Arrow keys for frame by frame playback.  In AE, you use Page Up and Page Down.

That is NOT intuitive.

And just try to get a simple DV file to play back with audio.  Again, in almost every single program on the planet that plays media, the space bar will do the trick.  But not in AE.

Intuitive?  Hardly.  Not even for the simple stuff.

• 10. Re: Dynamic Link woes...

" It’s intuitive, especially for simple things..."

I had to go back and re-read the article to make sure you had the quote right.
                            I had remembered it as saying " It’s NOT intuitive..." regarding AE.

Probably because that is what my eyes expected to read!

• 11. Re: Dynamic Link woes...
                              RavenMouse Level 1

Much as I've enjoyed reading the discussions of the merits of AE vs. PPro, etc., I thought I'd bring the discussion back to my original question/need...

FWIW- I've uninstalled, used the CS5 cleaner, and reinstalled.  Basically, it works the same as before I did all that.  That is to say, Dynamic Linking from PPro did not work right (primarily the command to "Replace with After Effects composition", the other two AE related commands, Create New and Load, seemed to work fine).  Also, the "New AE composition" command under Dynamic Link in Encore would lock up Encore, though neither of the import commands did so.  Anyway, after cursing Adobe in many creative ways, I happened to try opening AE (not creating a composition or anything, just opening it) and then trying the Dynamic link commands from PPro and/or Encore.  Whaddya know... it worked!  Even weirder, after getting it to work once, I could close AE and try the command(s) from PPro and/or Encore and (most of the time) it worked again!  I have NO idea whether or not the uninstall/reinstall had anything to do with it (I do think I'd tried the workaround before), but at least I now have a way for it to work for me.

So, thanks for your help!

Oh, and my 2 cents on AE vs. PPro, etc. - For most editing, PPro is a heck of a lot easier to use.  For effects, especially text effects for titles, AE clearly offers more.  I'm not saying that those effects can't be gotten in PPro with uber-expensive plug-ins (they can), but from within the CS5 Production Premium package, AE does effects better.  Now, y'all go ahead and continue your conversation but, with no disrespect intended, I'm outta here...  ;^p

Thanks again,

Jim 8^)