• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I apply one .css stylesheet to all of my linked word documents inside my RoboHelp8 HTML project?

Mar 09, 2011 Mar 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I am on my fourthRoboHelp8 HTML project, after the other three crashed. I am a technical writer constructing my companies Policy and Procedures Guide. I am only 142 (word documents) and 9 (RoboHelp topics) into my project and there will be plenty more to come. I recently took Kevin Siegel's RoboHelp8 class where I determined that it would be best if I link all of my word documents inside of the Project Manager becuase I will be constantly updating these documents. I've searched around the Adobe Forums, talked to Kevin, and talked to my IT Department, but I cannot seem to find an answer for my problem.

I have linked all of 142 word documents inside of the Project Manager, and all 142 word documents have their own .css stylesheet. I have assigned the default.css stylesheet (which I have assigned all of the proper formatting to headings 1-4 to match headings 1-4 inside of my Microsoft Word 2007 documents) under Project Settings under the Import tab. I also assigned this default.css stylesheet under WebHelp Pro. My understanding with applying the default.css stylesheet to these two places is that all of my word documents and topics should have this stylesheet applied to them.

However, when I look at each individual linked word document the default stylesheet has not been assigned and the word document is still being dictated by its own stylesheet i.e. Credit.css. On my third project, before it crashed, I manually went through all 142 word documents in the Project Manager and assigned the default.css stylesheet to them. I did this by right clicking on the topic, under Appearance, I changed the stylesheet i.e. Credit.css to default.css and clicked apply. I was immediately prompted with the two options: "Preserve modifications to this file" or "Don't show me this message again." I tried both options. The first applied the default.css stylesheet and removed the Credit.css stylesheet, but when I made a change inside of my word document and updated it inside of the Project Manager none of my changes appeared. The second did not apply the default.css stylesheet and kept my Credit.css stylesheet applied to my word document. When I made a change inside of my word document and updated it inside of the Project Manager the change appeared.

I talked about this to Kevin and he said that the individual stylesheet applied to each linked word document did not mean anything, essentially that by making the default.css stylesheet the dominant stylesheet under Project Settings under Import that the stylesheet would be applied to all of my linked word documents/topics. He also suggested that I make a change to the stylesheet like change the color of Heading 1 and link a new word document to see if it applied the changes. I tried doing this inside of my third project, but nothing changed.

I would like to know if I can assign one stylesheet to all of my linked word documents before I get too far into the fourth project and have that project crash on me too. One of RoboHelp's appealing features is to apply one stylesheet to multiple topics, or in my case 142 word documents and 9 topics. I hope that I can apply one stylesheet to all of these linked word documents because having 142 individual stylesheets is unmanageable.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Roxxanne

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 09, 2011 Mar 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When a word document is imported into RoboHelp project, RoboHelp generates a separate stylesheet for each word document as each word document may have its own formatting styles. In a generic scenario, word documents may be brought from different sources and may have different styling. Hence, RoboHelp allows users to preserve different styling through sepearate stylesheets.

However, for a different scenario like yours, RoboHelp allows users to override all the CSS and apply a single CSS to all the topics at the generation of output. As you have already mentioned that you have applied default.css in the WebHelp Pro SSL dialog, that should suffice and should meet your requirement of applying a single CSS to all the topics. You can verify the same at your end by linking few word files and generating the output with a single CSS applied in the SSL settings.

Mayank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 10, 2011 Mar 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mayank,

Thank you for the suggestion. As I was working on re-building my fourth project today, I realized in the WebHelp Pro dialog box I could only apply a stylesheet or apply a master page. My company is going to use a master page to apply our company logo to all of our topics. So, I set up our master page and applied the stylesheet I wanted default.css and changed all of the headers 1-4 and normal text to a different font color. I applied the master page under the WebHelp Pro dialog box and clicked View My Primary Layout. By using the master page and applying the default.css stylesheet I wanted, I was able to apply my changes to both my topics and linked word documents. I also made a change to one of my word documents Credit.htm and saved and updated the linked word document inside of the Project Manager. The update worked correctly and Look at This appeared inside of my Credit.htm topic. I then saved and clicked View My Primary Layout where the change appeared correctly inside of my Credit.htm topic and the default.css stylesheet was applied.

Inside my Project Manager Credit.htm still has its own stylesheet, Credit.css, applied to it. My update appeared as Look at This (in black), inside of my topic. When I clicked View My Primary Layout the update appeared as Look at This(in maroon). The change in color indicated the font color I assigned to Heading 1 of my default.css stylesheet, which is applied to my master page. For any one else out there who is looking to apply one .css stylesheet to all of your topics and you also know that you will be using a master page, then apply the stylesheet you want to the master page and don't worry what stylesheet appear in your Project Manager because the master page will apply your desired stylesheet to all of your topics and linked word documents.

Thank you,

Roxxanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 10, 2011 Mar 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The solution I found can be read in my response to Mayank. I hope either Mayank's solution or mine is helpful to anyone else having this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp