7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2011 3:17 PM by Jerime CK

Need help summing a column.

Jerime CK

I have  a traditional looking invoice made up that I want to sum all of the values in just one column.  Is this possible?  Here's an example.  Quote total column summed to the Quote plus tax field.  Thanks!

12.JPG

• 1. Re: Need help summing a column.
          gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

With out field names it is pretty hard to sum the values of the field.

Have you looked at the 'Calculate' options for the total field?

There is an option for "Field is the ____ of fields" and you can select the operation and the fields.

If you need to write a custom script, then you need to get a copy of the Acrobat JS API Reference from Adobe's Developer site.

• 2. Re: Need help summing a column.
            Jerime CK Level 1

Thanks for the help.  I figured it wasn't going to be that simple since there is only one field. 

I'm not sure where the option you mention is.  I didn't see it in the Caluclate options.  Maybe I'm not looking in the right spot.  I just got a copy of the Acrobat JS API Reference guide so I'll pour over that for a while too.

• 3. Re: Need help summing a column.

In either Acrobat or LiveCycle Designer, you need a row of form fields for each row of items to be entered on the  form.

By, the way which program from the Acrobat product are you using?

Acrobat since version 6 has 2 different applications that can create forms, Acrobat and LiveCycle Designer. And each has a different interface and languages for programing.

Have you looked at any sample forms?

• 4. Re: Need help summing a column.
                Jerime CK Level 1

I'm using Acrobat 9 Pro.  Unfortunatly, I don't have a lot of experience with interactive PDFs.  A bit of a shortfall in my education I guess. 

I'm also not having much luck with sample forms.  Maybe I don't know where to look.

• 5. Re: Need help summing a column.
                  try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Are you using form fields? If so, just create a text box as the total and

then go to the Calculation tab, select the option to calculate the value as

a sum of fields and then select the fields you want to sum up in the window

that opens.

• 6. Re: Need help summing a column.

Acrobat 9.0 Professional contains both the Acrobat program and the LiveCycle Designer program. Both of these programs are capable of creating forms and even scanning documents for form fields.

Which exact product did you use to create your form? Hint use the "Help" option to find the "About ..." option. The "About" will list the exact program name.

It looks like you had automatic field detection, and that feature "assumed "(old saw intended) that the description, quantity, unit price, and Quote Total were each one big field. Even though it is possible to extract the multiple values from these fields, it is very hard for the end user to enter the data. You need a field for each row to be entered and this will require manually entering the form fields.

Here is an Acrobat Invoice Sample Package that includes a blank Invoice a working copy and special template for dynamically adding a second or more page.

• 7. Re: Need help summing a column.
                      Jerime CK Level 1

Again, thanks for the help.  It is Acrobat 9 Pro Version 9.4.2.  I just used the form wizard under the Forms tab.  I've never seen anything about LiveCycle Designer anywhere before.

I may end up doing just what you said and enter individual fields.