1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 11, 2007 2:10 PM by Newsgroup_User

Make an existing Java webapp Flex-compatible

FlexKoala
      Hi,

I am aware that the kind of help I'm after can probably be found somewhere, either on these forums or by googling... I just can't find it.
      My situation is as follows: I have an existing Java webapp running on Tomcat5, and I would like to make the relevant changes to that back end so that it can be accessed using Flex.

Knowing nothing about Flash myself and being purely a Java developer... where can I start ?
      I have tons of Java beans and the DAO logic that goes with them already implemented, what I'm lacking is a way to make those "available" to a Flex application. From what I have been reading, AMF would be the best way to have Flex and Java communicate, but as I said I don't know how to start working on that integration.

How do I "flexify" an existing Java webapp running on its own Tomcat ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, I'm completely new to all this.
        • 1. Re: Make an existing Java webapp Flex-compatible
          Level 7
          I would get FDS, or the latest version which is now re-branded as LiveCycle
          Data Services (LCDS) and look at a RemoteObject example. The basic idea is
          that you have facade classes in /WEB-INF/classes (or in a jar in /WEB-INF/lib)
          of your flex.war file and then you configure destinations with the "remoting
          service". The Flex client code can use the RemoteObject API to access these
          destinations. A channel is used by the client and server to exchange information
          and the translation from ActionScript to Java is handled for you. You can
          map custom typed ActionScript classes to your Java beans using the special
          [RemoteClass(alias="...")] metadata and as long as you have public getter/setter
          properties that match on the client and server, and a public no-args constructor
          on both ends, the types should be automatically interconvertable.

There should be lots of websites out there that discuss this too as it's
          quite a popular way to get Flex to talk to Java.