3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2011 2:15 AM by Harm Millaard

What Sequence Preset? What format to Export?

jspec808

I currently have a Panasonic SD-60 that records at 1920x1080 in AVCHD format. I'm looking at the presets and I see a AVCHD format folder but not sure which one to pick from...There's AVCHD 1080i25 (50i) etc.. Which sequence preset would provide the best quality? Or does it even matter?

Also, what format will provide me the best quality for a media export? Right now I am doing MPEG2 Blu-Ray? Not sure if this is the best, but would like some feed back since I am new at this...

Thanks.

• 1. Re: What Sequence Preset? What format to Export?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

What Sequence Preset?

What you shot with your camera. If you don't know what you shot, all bets are off. Check your camera settings to figure what you have shot. Or drop a clip on the New Item icon in the project panel, which will create a sequence with the correct settings.

What format to Export?

The one that suits your delivery medium.

• 2. Re: What Sequence Preset? What format to Export?
            jspec808 Level 1

What you shot with your camera. If you don't know what you  shot, all bets are off. Check your camera settings to figure what you  have shot. Or drop a clip on the New Item icon in the project panel,  which will create a sequence with the correct settings.

Here is the properties of a clip I imported as suggested. Any suggestions on what preset?

Type: MPEG Movie
            File Size: 27.8 MB
            Image Size: 1920 x 1080
            Pixel Depth: 32
            Frame Rate: 29.97
            Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - compressed - Stereo
            Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo
            Total Duration: 00:00:15:00
            Average Data Rate: 1.9 MB / second
            Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

The one that suits your delivery medium.

My delivery medium doesn't matter...I can use any. Just want to know which export provides the best quality.

• 3. Re: What Sequence Preset? What format to Export?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Preset: AVCHD 1080i/29.97 or AVCHD 1080p/29.97, depending on what you shot. If you don't know what kind of fuel your car uses, you should not fill the tank before knowing it needs gasoline or diesel. Same with video shooting, you should know what you set your camera to.

The New Item icon may be your rescue here.

Best quality export depends on many factors, like time line length, bit rates, topic of your movie, etc. and the medium. No sense in using BR for delivery on the web, no sense in using DVD for delivery on the web or FL for delivery on BRD.

My delivery medium doesn't matter...I can use any. Just want to know which export provides the best quality.

This shows you don't understand the basics. The medium is very decisive for the export. I suggest you start reading and learning about video editing first.