5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2011 10:09 PM by Justin O'Dea

reader X, a step backward?

umeca74

up to adobe reader v9.0, almost everything worked straight out of the box (at least on 32 bit windows). You got PDF thumbnails, pure text extraction (for desktop search) and you could open PDFs in internet explorer.

With the latest reader 10 (X) the only thing that works is thumbnails. The IFilter dll is missing so there's no text search in PDFs, and trying to open a PDF in internet explorer results in a blank page.

are these known issues and is there a workaround?

thanks

nikos

• 1. Re: reader X, a step backward?
          plcguys

I went back to Version 9.3 and all is working now. I was having nothing but printing problems with version X.

• 2. Re: reader X, a step backward?
            MarkAtChurch

My experience exactly.  I've uninstalled reader X, and the earlier version is working well.  Now my problem is Reader X keeps popping up requesting an install.

• 3. Re: reader X, a step backward?
              plcguys Level 1

I am running XP. I did an uninstall first. Then loaded version 9.3. There is a windows

uninstaller you can load to erase the X version install stuff. Go on line and do

a search. Someone in this post actually posted the website but I can not find that.

• 4. Re: reader X, a step backward?
                MarkAtChurch Level 1

Thanks.  I also did an uninstall, but downloaded 9.4.0; it seems to be

working fine (however, I've just noticed that X is wanting to download

again.  I have to "close Adobe Reader Updater" - it can't take no for an

answer!

Have a good day!

Mark

Mark Hancock

Business Manager

Richland Hills United Methodist Church

7301 Glenview Dr., N. Richland Hills, TX 76180-8337

817-284-9371  Fax: 817-595-2068  Cell: 817-919-7188

www.rhumc.net

"We the people of RHUMC are a community of believers.  In response to God's

grace, we are accepting of all persons - and strive to be the servants of

Christ in the world by sharing the Word and ministering to all in need in

the church, in the community and around the world."

P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

• 5. Re: reader X, a step backward?
                  Justin O'Dea

Yes Reader X officially sucks... I was only keeping it around for the browser plugin, but it is turning out to be buggy. I'm thinking I'm just going to uninstall until they realize what a step backward it was and hopefully revamp it- It's getting some pretty bad reviews. For now I'm sticking to v 9.4.0- this was the best version yet (9.4.5 has a problem with search terms not being highlighted).