5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2011 7:11 AM by nealeh

PE9 Sulks if the Internet isn't there

DurbsLad Level 1

I find that PE9 won't start if the Internet isn't available - ADSL link gone for a while, infrequent as that is.  This is annoying enough, and I should think it would be utterly unacceptable if one were travelling.  What happened to me recently is that I was zipping a bit of footage when the ADSL went down, and PE9 would not respond to any buttons at all, so I was left with the sound of the footage zipping on while the image froze.  The only thing I could do was abort PE, and then it wouldn't start again, which didn't please me.  I can understand the requirement to activate the product (sort of understand, anyway), but once that's done it should behave like a bought product!

Does anyone know how one gets the program to run without the Internet being available?

• 1. Re: PE9 Sulks if the Internet isn't there
          nealeh Level 5

I don't think that's a problem with PRE. Try temporarily disabling your firewall and anti-virus software.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: PE9 Sulks if the Internet isn't there
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Unless you're logged into Photoshop.com, the program should not need a live internet connection.

Can you be more specific about your situation? How is the program refusing the function?

• 3. Re: PE9 Sulks if the Internet isn't there
              DurbsLad Level 1

Steve:  It just stops responding.  If I'm trying to start it, the splash screen goes away and PE quietly folds its tent and melts away into the dunes and can be seen no more ...

Nealeh: My first reaction was to say nonsense, if it was the firewall it wouldn't work regardless.  However, I decided to test.

I disconnected the network cable (the router's on my desk, wireless would make no sense for this machine).  PE froze, as expected.  I told ZoneAlarm to sling its hook.  PE unfroze.  Then I discovered that ZoneAlarm was sitting there looking hurt and asking if I really wanted it to go away, so I told it all was forgiven and it could continue to play.  PE stayed unfrozen.

Conclusion: some very odd interaction with ZoneAlarm, and if things freeze, it seems that all I need to do is tell ZoneAlarm to go away, then cancel this.  Confusing, but a functional workaround.  Thank you for the suggestion!

• 4. Re: PE9 Sulks if the Internet isn't there
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, Zone Alarm has been at the center of several issues with Adobe programs. I used to use it, at a point in time, and then went to a Sysco wireless modem. ZA could not be configured correctly, to all it to work, so I uninstalled it,  all was fine. Never added it back, because I did not want to fight it. There are several posts for other Adobe products, where ZA got in the way, and removal, or complete reconfigure, was the fix.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: PE9 Sulks if the Internet isn't there
                  nealeh Level 5

Another one for the list of Firewall/AV oddities that halt PRE. It's been a very long time since I last used ZoneAlarm but I think you can create an exception for PRE so that you don't have to use the workaround manually each time.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children