9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2013 8:44 AM by Vadim Rapp

Reader X printing garbage...

JLogie Level 1

Printing multi-page pdf files.  Page 1 prints perfectly everytime.... subsequent pages print garbage characters if Adobe Reader loses the focus.  If I let Adobe stay in the foreground, undisturbed until the multi-page report finishes printing, all pages print properly.  But, if I choose to let the printing of the file continue in the background while I bring another program (like Word or Excel) into focus on my desktop, the garbage prints everytime.  It does the same thing if I close Adobe after the file has been sent to the print spooler and the printing is in process.  This behavior only exists with printing from Adobe Reader.

This happens with two PCs in our office. Both are XP sp3.  Both utilize local printers with current drivers.  One prints to an HP DeskJet 6940, the other one prints to a Canon Pixma MP500. This began with the installation of Adobe X.

Any thoughts? solutions?

• 1. Re: Reader X printing garbage...
          JLogie Level 1

Just uninstalled Reader X and reinstalled 9.4.  All is well now.

I would still like to know what the deal is with X.  

• 2. Re: Reader X printing garbage...
            Voxmaltings Level 1

I'm experiencing similar problems with my HP Officejet Pro 8600, never happened with older versions. Think I'll switch back too.

• 3. Re: Reader X printing garbage...
              Voxmaltings Level 1

After reading a few more contributions I disabled Protected mode and things seem to be improving though jury's still out.  A protected mode that protects against working seems a fairly backward development.

• 4. Re: Reader X printing garbage...
                preboomer39 Level 1

Today I updated to Reader X (Running XP SP3 on a Dell laptop).  I printed some pdf files and got the "garbage".  I noted that the "garbage" was that all text characters (letters and numbers) were advanced by 1 (a "1" printed as a "2", an "a" printed as a "b" etc).  Is this what others have noticed?  Some of the printed pages were all "garbage", some were mixed.  With patience I did manage to get the pages printed correctly. The non-text portions of the pages were correct.  Can anyone identify a software hiccup or incompatability that could cause a text character shift?

• 5. Re: Reader X printing garbage...
                  JLogie Level 1

I made no attempt to analyze the garbage.  I just got rid of it and went back to Adobe Reader 9.  If that isn't an option for you, try what Voxmalting suggested about disabling Protected Mode.  I too have found posts elsewhere that indicate that the problem lies with the Protected Mode, but someone from Adobe needs to figure out what that problem is and fix it.

• 6. Re: Reader X printing garbage...
                    preboomer39 Level 1

Thanks.  Back to 9 it is.

Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 07:05:18 -0600

To: epperson63@hotmail.com

Subject: Reader X printing garbage...

I made no attempt to analyze the garbage.  I just got rid of it and went back to Adobe Reader 9.  If that isn't an option for you, try what Voxmalting suggested about disabling Protected Mode.  I too have found posts elsewhere that indicate that the problem lies with the Protected Mode, but someone from Adobe needs to figure out what that problem is and fix it.

>

• 7. Re: Reader X printing garbage...
                      Voxmaltings Level 1

I concluded it's either a text thing or it might be triggered by my PDF

generator as I only have the problem with text. PDF's generated from AutoCAD

drawings print normally. I'll probably update my PDF generator if I have any

further problems.

Bryan McAlister RIAS RIBA

07732 600160  01506 847285

www.bryanmac.co.uk

• 8. Re: Reader X printing garbage...
                        BillDeverell Level 1

I too have had problems printing garbage - looks like a foreign language instead of English !

My usual response is to chnge the Size option to Fit  instead of Actual Size.

This usually sorts it out.

I also usually save to desktop instead of printing from the web.

Bill

• 9. Re: Reader X printing garbage...
                          Vadim Rapp Level 1

Well, this was all about Reader X; today is August 2013, the Reader is already XI, and I just finished printing a single page that I had to switch to "print as image" because of the same problem.

Perhaps Adobe software engineers might want at some point in time to switch their priorities from fake ones like "protection mode" (nobody seemed to be attacking PDF recently, did they) to the real issues.