8 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2012 6:25 AM by Tony Pfau

Long time to load and save

olathedonm Level 1

I upgraded to Premier Pro CS5 about a month ago and have had excellent results with several small projects.  But now I am working on a larger project (45 minutes) and the projects takes a long time to load - 10 to 15 minutes - and even longer to save - up to an hour.  Today, while saving, I received low memory warning from windows.  I changed optimize memory in edit - preference to "memory" with no effect.  Here are some of the particulars

System

Intel Core I5 650

8 gig ram - 6.5 gig dedicated to Pr

2 - 1 terabyte hard drives

Gforce GTX470 video card

Windows 7 Home Premium

dedicated computer to Premiere Pro

Project

Mostly HDV video

some DV video

ambient sound track

narration track

music track

a few still pictures

multiple titles

Any help would be appreciated.  This is my first post to this forum.  Am I in the right place for this question? 

Thanks

Don

• 1. Re: Long time to load and save
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Don,

Welcome to the forum.

I assume that your 2 HDD's are internals. Is that correct?

How do you have them allocated, i.e. C:\ OS, programs and Page File, then D:\ media and Project plus Scratch Disks?

How is your Page File managed and what is its size?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Long time to load and save
            Harm Millaard Level 7

You will enjoy this remark:

On this lowly specced sytem, all the signs show an ill-tuned system, unless you have not told all the relevant details.

Look here, as it also applies to Win7: Adobe Forums: Guide for installing and tuning a Vista...

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Long time to load and save
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Have you upgraded to 5.0.3? This sounds like the infamous project bloat issue that was addressed in 5.0.2 (or 5.0.3; can't remember).

Go to Help > About to check your current version (you want to see 5.0.3) and if not, go to Help > Updates and let all the relevant updates be downloaded and installed. It's usually best to do this after a fresh reboot of your system; launching the Updater from Bridge can sometimes help prevent the "revert to trial" bug that is another fun thing you hopefully won't become aware of

• 4. Re: Long time to load and save
                olathedonm Level 1

Wow!  Thanks for the quick and helpful replies.  It is much appreciated.

Hunt:

Yes both HDDs are internal  C: has programs and paging  E: is just for media scratch and project

Page files are system managed.  Page file size is 8183 MB.  MS help suggests I set a page file size do you agree and what size would you recommend?

Colin:

I am embarrassed that I did not think of this.  I am at version 5.0.0   Guess I have been spoiled by s/w installations that check for recent updates at time of install.  I will update Premiere in the morning.

Harm:

I appreciate the words of wisdom.  The scary thing is that I think I understand and resemble quote you included!  Thanks for the link.  I will check it out after I get Premiere update.

Thanks again to all.  Will work on this tomorrow and let you know how it turned out.

Don

• 5. Re: Long time to load and save
                  olathedonm Level 1

Updated to version 5.0.3 and now it saves in about 10 seconds.

Thanks to all for your help

New Forum Convert - Don

• 6. Re: Long time to load and save
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Yeah, I had forgotten about the "Project Bloat" issue. That was headline news upon the release of CS5, but was addressed by one of the early updates - how quickly we forget.

Glad that updating took care of the issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Long time to load and save
                      JCperp Level 1

I also have an increasing problem of long load and save times.

I have CS5.5, Vista and stacks of processor speed, RAM and internal hard drive space, so I don't think it's a hardware capacity issue. 

The problem has got much worse in the past week or 2, working on 2 large projects.  Interestingly, Autosave runs through quite quickly but a manual save takes much longer (at least 30") and afterwards Premiere won't respond for a couple of minutes.  It also has been going into non-respond mode more frequently recently during editing, although it usually comes out of it OK without a shut down.

Media loading takes much longer than it used to.

I've cleared all preview and media cache folders.

Would be grateful for any thoughts.

Jonathan

• 8. Re: Long time to load and save
                        Tony Pfau Level 1

I'm using CS5.5 and discovered that if I try and export a sequence out via Encoder, suddenly, my large project takes forever and a week to save.  To resolve this, I waited until the project finally saved, removed the sequence from the encoder queue and restarted everything. Everything returned to normal and the project saves back at regular speed. . So, I've just been avoiding exporting media through media encoder if I'm working on the project still.  This has happenned on my own system as well as other more powerful systems I've worked on. I have no clue about why it happens, but for what it's worth, that's what I've found.