5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2011 6:16 AM by tomaugerdotcom

Vertical Tool Palette

tomaugerdotcom Level 1

Hi guys, I'm a veteran Adobe CS user, but new to AE CS5. Simple question: I want my tool palette to be vertical (tool icons vertically stacked in a single column) like the other CS5 apps.

I can't seem to figure out how to do it. Is it just me or does the AE UI seem to not fit in with the rest of the CS UIs?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

• 1. Re: Vertical Tool Palette
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

It's not possible. Indeed the toolbar is designed horizontally al lthe way.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Vertical Tool Palette
            tomaugerdotcom Level 1

Arg. Sigh. Why can't Adobe be consistent in its UI implementations? It's supposed to be a "suite".

Thanks for the quick answer!

T

• 3. Re: Vertical Tool Palette
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8
              > Why can't Adobe be consistent in its UI implementations?

You can submit a feature request here.

How to give feedback on After Effects.

• 4. Re: Vertical Tool Palette
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Arg. Sigh. Why can't Adobe be consistent in its UI implementations? It's supposed to be a "suite".

You're assuming too much. Historically all of the apps have different roots and were bought from other companies, still carrying that legacy until this day. Even in the ones that have vertical toolbars, the functionality is quite different in each of them. You could also turn this upside down and just ask the PS, AI and Flash people to make their toolbars horizontal by default... In any case, it seems rather minor to me, given that AE only has 7 tools and you can memorize their shortcuts quite quickly compared to the gigazillion PS or AI tools....

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Vertical Tool Palette
                  tomaugerdotcom Level 1

Totally, I get that. Plus, the discussion we're having here at the office is that AE is modeling its UI against editing suites such as Avid or Final Cut (though you might argue that the latter is copying the former).

The fact remains that Adobe is branding this all as a "suite", and has included many useful meta features such as Workspaces and their palette/docking system that ought to be able to accommodate all sorts of different styles. If it suits your monitor configuration better to have a verical tool palette, then why not allow it? If you have a docking GUI that works one way across 80% of their CS, why not implement it across the board.

And let's remember that, historically, if you look at the relative newcomers such as Flash, AE has been around under the Adobe aegis a whole lot longer. And there was a time, five years ago, when its UI was much more in-line with the Design suite of applications.

Anyway, thanks for the stimulating discussion!

Regards,

Tom