2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2011 4:35 PM by gator soup

Colour difference issues on wide gamut Dell 3007wfp

Sasha666

Hey guys,

I was wondering if someone could help with this problem that is driving me insane. I have tried a lot of possible solutions I found online, but nothing seems to work.

The problem I've got is that when I save a JPEG in Photoshop through Save for web I get oversaturated and darker colours in web browsers on both of my monitors.

What I am trying to achieve is seeing the same colours in PS as the ones I get in web browsers. I don't really care about the colours in PS being incorrect for print, etc, as I am a web designer and the only thing that matters to me is monitor colour.

While playing around with colour settings (changing them and then doing a Save for web) I was able to achieve exactly the same colours on both monitors that did at the same time match the initial Photoshop design - stupidly I can't remember what I have changed in the existing PS file colour settings, but the colours went quite dull, then when saving for web they looked exactly how I wanted them to look on both monitors, they also did match the initial colour of the PS file. Of course switching to different colour settings each time I need to save something for web is not ideal, but I would be quite happy if someone could explain to me how to at least achieve this...

My setup:

• Dell 3007wfp wide gamut
      • Dell 2405wfp
      • Windows 7 64bit
      • Photoshop CS4 64bit
      • Pantone Huey calibrator

My Windows colour management settings:

color-management-devices.jpgcolor-management-advanced.jpg

My Photoshop colour settings for the file I am working on atm:

photoshop-color-settings.jpg

photoshop-assign-profile.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Colour difference issues on wide gamut Dell 3007wfp
          gator soup Level 4

first try Firefox 3.6.15 and enable Value 1

http://www.gballard.net/firefox/

that should fix the problem in Firefox for "I am trying to achieve is seeing the same colours in PS as the ones I get in web browsers."

if it doesn't then something else is going on and you may want to get a good reference image like the sRGB PDI color image

you also may want to review the other Adobe threads on wide gamut monitors and the difference between sRGB (web standard) and adobeRGB (your generic monitor space)...including bad-defective monitor profiling packages (and how to rule out the monitor profile)

i would recommend setting Ps Color Management Policies> RGB to Preserve Embedded Profiles --- a good way to achieve that is to first set North America Prepress 2, then change your working spaces, then Save (with no other messing around)

Ps "Assign Profile":  The ONLY time that move is correct in Ps is if your file is untagged and it is based on sRGB color space - all other times you will first Use the correct profile then CONVERT to sRGB (if not already there)...

• 2. Re: Colour difference issues on wide gamut Dell 3007wfp
            gator soup Level 4
            I don't really care about the colours in PS being incorrect for print, etc, as I am a web designer and the only thing that matters to me is monitor colour.

photoshop prints through a Source Profile> Print Profile CONVERSION

your monitor profile has nothing to do with how Ps prints your source color

(at least in my work flow)

photoshop displays RGB color through a Source Profile> Monitor Profile CONVERSION

your print profile has nothing to do with how Ps displays your source color

after you get your monitor profile ruled out,

the next step is to verify if Ps is using the correct Source Profile, and if you are Saving your web images in sRGB, and if you are embedding the sRGB profile or not

the last step would be to nail down if your test browser reads embedded profiles (it is color managed like Ps)

and what profile the browser applies by Default (in the case it is not color managed, or the test files are untagged)

and if that Default profile is then CONVERTED to Monitor RGB or sent straight to the monitor...