3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2011 6:13 PM by jchunick

Help, I can't replicate a published file

DRich295

On Windows when I publish my project the .exe file is slightly different each time even if I didn't make any changes.  Does anyone know how I can avoid this and get the .exe file to always have the same signature if nothing in the project has changed?  In my case, a government entity has to approve my application and they must be able to rebuild it from the source and get exactly the same signature on the .exe file.

Thank you for your help.

• 1. Re: Help, I can't replicate a published file
          jchunick Level 2

I would tend to say that what's changing is some sort of timestamp/date info that gets written to the file so I don't know how you can fix that for them.

• 2. Re: Help, I can't replicate a published file
            DRich295 Level 1

Datetime stamps was also my first thought but by comparing the differences it is not obvious.

Has Adobe or Macromedia ever published a map file that shows where different elements reside in the file (ie. p-code engine, pcode, constants, data, etc)?

On small executables I have seen as little as 16 bytes different (4 4-byte locations).  On my bigger ones (500 megabytes), I have seen a huge number of differences.

• 3. Re: Help, I can't replicate a published file
              jchunick Level 2

DRich295 wrote:

Datetime stamps was also my first thought but by comparing the differences it is not obvious.

Has Adobe or Macromedia ever published a map file that shows where different elements reside in the file (ie. p-code engine, pcode, constants, data, etc)?

On small executables I have seen as little as 16 bytes different (4 4-byte locations).  On my bigger ones (500 megabytes), I have seen a huge number of differences.

No, unfortunately they have never published a map file.

Have you tried a 'save and compact' first?... I'm really just shooting in the dark here.