4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2011 8:01 AM by junior166

Alternative Free After Effects Programs To Adobe After Effects

junior166

http://www.blender.org/

http://www.debugmode.com/wax/

http://www.cinefx.org/

Well.. I didn't see any discussion here about alternative after effects programs for free here. I was looking in a folder that I download programs to, and I came across a few programs that I had downloaded to it but didn't install them until I am ready to use them, I even forgot I had them since using PreE 2, I use PreE 8 now. They are free alternatives to Adobe After Effets. I did a little searching on these programs on cnet.com and found they are still downloadable and some have improvements. Try them out if your interested in compositing to video for your projects. I am going to install them and check them out since now I have a few projects under my belt and move on to more complicated projects. Reply back to this post if you have used any of these and leave some inputs as to how well they work and which is best.

Thanks

Junior

• 1. Re: Alternative Free After Effects Programs To Adobe After Effects
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Junior,

On Muvipix.com, there are several threads on the use of both Wax and Blender. Not sure which forum they appear in, but it seems that Robert Johnson did some tutorials, or articles on one, or the other.

I've never used either, as I have AE, but they seem to be very full-featured, and very handy.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Alternative Free After Effects Programs To Adobe After Effects
            junior166 Level 1

Warning!!!!! Do not install Debugmode Wax....I installed it in Programs folder instead of creating a folder for it....so I went to uninstall from Add Remove Programs and reinstall it to its own folder. so when I proceeded with the uninstall it ended up removing other programs from my computer that were not related to this software....at least 10+ programs ..I am so damn pissed right now ...why would this crap do this..any answeres for this ....

Junior

• 3. Re: Alternative Free After Effects Programs To Adobe After Effects
              nealeh Level 5

Use System Restore to restore to a point older than when you installed WAX.

Personally, if an installer offers it, I always choose 'advanced' installation to see what and where applications are going to install. Of particular annoyance are the number of 'standard install' choices that add unwanted browser toolbars and reset search engines.

As for GPL software, many of them are initially created in the UNIX / LINUX environment and sometimes the porting to Windows or OSX does not always have the same robustness of the install process.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Alternative Free After Effects Programs To Adobe After Effects
                junior166 Level 1

Yea, I guess Unix and Linux...I guess it was made for those OS's...I really went out of my way to do my homework on this as far as being a good free tool to use...I don't understand why it didn't come with an uninstaller for Windows...I understand it's free and all...but I feel that as an author/creator there should be some kind of documentation to let users know that certain things take place differently for other OS's it was intentionally meant for. I am in negative state of mind right now because I had to go through the process of reinstalling so many programs back to my computer (Internet Explorer, Music Programs, Photoshop, PreE 8, Zips Opener, etc, etc, etc. to many programs to list which it rendered unusable.

As far as going back to restore point...that was a big mistake on my part...a while back I caught one of those free Anitvirus 2010 program auto installers from visiting a website and it was a nightmare trying to get rid of it and one of the procedures to remove it was to turn off restore point, well I forgot to turn it back on after I removed it off my comp.

Junior