3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2011 4:08 PM by the_wine_snob

No Audio Playback--Visible Waveforms, file plays in VLC fine

lbsimpson Level 1

Hi all,

I am working with a QT exported 'same as source' from Avid Media Composer 5.0.3 that I have imported into Premiere Pro.  I've done this before with no problem and in fact have imported a couple of similar files to the same project for comparison.  When I open the QT in VLC player, both video and audio playback is normal.  In Premiere, the stereo audio track clearly displays waveforms, but no audio is heard or noted in the Audio Tool or Mixer.  Two other files created the same way in Avid, playback fine in Premiere, audio and all, also confirming it's not that I have a track muted etc.   Any thoughts on why this one file won't give me any audio?

Thanks!!!
      Lindsay

• 1. Re: No Audio Playback--Visible Waveforms, file plays in VLC fine
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Lindsay,

What is the format and CODEC on this particular Audio Clip?

Do you have this Audio Clip on the same Audio Track as other Audio Clips, that play correctly, or on a different one?

Did you, at any time, add Audio Track Keyframes to that Audio Track with the Audio Mixer?

Does this Audio play in the Source Monitor? When you Alt+click on the Audio portion (to temporarily unlink it), and then Dbl-click it, does it Open in the Source Monitor with full Waveforms?

Does this Audio play in the little player in Project Panel?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: No Audio Playback--Visible Waveforms, file plays in VLC fine
            lbsimpson Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your response.

The format of the footage is 1080i, but was shot on two different cameras a P2 and an Ikegami.  To export 'same as source' from Avid with a sequence of mixed long GOP (ikegami) and P2 media I perform a video mixdown first to this codec: DNxHD 145 (HD 1080i).  I would assume that is the codec of the final QT package since it is 'same as source'.  I do have the Avid codecs for Premiere downloaded and installed on my Premiere machine.

Side note: I have tried exporting QT's with 'Animation' and 'none' codecs for transfer to premiere but have found difficulty with these codecs as Avid and/or  Sorenson Squeeze (not surprisingly) most often fail when attempting these exports

Yes, the troublesome audio clip is one the same stereo track as the other working audio clips.

No audio does not play in the source monitor.

No I have not added any keyframes to the audio at all, audio mixer or otherwise (or to any of the audio in the project).

And yes it was playing properly in the small preview.

Now with all that said....I just reconnected the media drive and reopened the project....voila!  All is well and audio playback is functioning for the troublesome QT.

I do wonder what caused the confusion though.

Thanks!

Lindsay

• 3. Re: No Audio Playback--Visible Waveforms, file plays in VLC fine
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Lindsay,

Only guesses here, but one thought would be that the link to the CFA file was lost, along the way. When Imported, all Audio is Conformed to 32-bit floating point, for editing, and the PEK files are also generated. One problem that can happen is that if one begins editing such a file, before the Conforming is complete, it stops, and things go wrong. However, IIRC, the CFA (Conformed Audio) files are created first, and THEN the PEK files. You had the PEK (Waveform Display) files, so I did not even mention that it might be something with the CFA, as I was assuming that the process completed. Still, a link could have been lost, and then restored. Perhaps Todd, Steve, Jeremy, or another contributor can tell me if I am correct in the order of Conforming, as I think it's CFA and then PEK. Next time I Import Audio, I'll fire up Windows Explorer and watch to see which comes first - the chicken, or the egg.

Otherwise, I cannot imagine why it would fail once, but work the next time.

Good luck,

Hunt