5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2007 3:53 PM by Newsgroup_User

Building on XP, need external Mac Xtras

Level 1
      Is there a place to download the Mac-format Xtra files or a tool that will combine the .data and .rsrc forks into complete Mac files?

Working on Windows XP, I need to assemble Mac OSX Xtras for a stub projector. I have found the XP folder containing the .data and .rsrc files for the Mac xtras at
      "C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Director MX 2004\Configuration\Cross Platform Resources"

But when placing those files in an Xtras folder on Mac OSX, they do not recombine to form working xtras on Mac OSX. Running the stub projector fails to recognize any of them. For launch speed, I do not want to bundle the Xtras with the Mac projector.

Many thanks,
      Tom B.
        • 1. Re: Building on XP, need external Mac Xtras
          Level 7
          You can't do it like you suggest. If you are publishing from Windows for
          Mac you need to either bundle all the xtras into the projector, or
          create a stub, move it to a Mac, extract it and then create an external
          xtras folder with player libraries and xtras (or build it into a bundle).
          If you /were/ to re-assemble Mac xtras on a Windows machine they would
          immediately be damaged by the Windows file system.
          • 2. Re: Building on XP, need external Mac Xtras
            Level 1
            Sorry I wasn't clear on that.

I am trying to re-assemble these on a Mac (OSX Mac-Intel mini) and was hoping for a Mac-based tool or download to build the external Xtras folder.

Here is what I am doing that does not seem to work:
            1) Build Mac OSX stub projector on XP with omit all Xtras selected.
            2) Copy all .data and .rsrc files for Mac OSX to an Xtras folder on the Mac next to the stub projector.
            3) When I launch the stub, it fails to recognize those as Xtras. However, it does OK with the third-party Xtras I use (Buddy API, Shockfiler).

Am I doing something wrong? I appreciate your help on this.

Many thx,
            Tom B.
            • 3. Re: Building on XP, need external Mac Xtras
              Level 7
              Why don't you grab the required xtras from from a Shockwave install on
              your Mac and 3rd party xtras from their developer sites?
              Or install the trial version on your Mac and take them from there.
              There used to be a vList/binaryIO tool for splitting xtras - I don't
              know if it also recombined them, or if Tabuleiro have made it available
              now that they are the distributor.
              • 4. Re: Building on XP, need external Mac Xtras
                Level 1
                I have the third-party Xtras working fine, so I'll get the Mac trial version of MX04 and go that route. Thanks Sean.

Tom B.
                • 5. Re: Building on XP, need external Mac Xtras
                  Level 7
                  > I have the third-party Xtras working fine, so I'll get the Mac trial version of MX04 and go that route. Thanks Sean.

Might be quicker to publish a dcr on Windows with the xtras you need for
                  your projector marked as "Download if needed" and view this on your Mac
                  so that the required xtras should be downloaded. Then you can grab them
                  from Shockwave.