3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2007 2:31 PM by larissahp

LoadVariablesNum, Flash Asset Xtra

larissahp
      I have a problem with something I'm working on. Perhaps the feature I need isn't support but I cannot find anything to explain what is happening.

Basically, I have a director mx 2004 movie which contains a flash 8 swf file. The director movie sends a variable to flash, flash then sends this variable to a php script. The php script returns flash some other variables, flash does some work and tells director when it is finished. Director then does something with the screen image.

All of this WAS working and then, out of the blue, it all stopped working. I have no idea why. Nothing was changed, no software was updated that I am aware of, it just stopped working.

I have been able to narrow down the problem to the function LoadVariablesNum within flash. It is sending the variables to php however it is not receiving anything in response. Php is working, is receiving the variable and is sending the right response. Flash (within director) is ignoring the response.

I've done some tests and the following is noted:

1. If I publish the director movie to an .exe everything works perfect.
      2. If I run everything within director everything works perfect.
      3. If I run JUST the swf within the flash program everything works perfect.
      4. If I run the published swf from my browser everything works perfect.
      5. If I publish the shockwave movie to a .dcr including the swf NOTHING works.
      6. If I publish the shockwave movie to a .dcr with the swf file linked NOTHING works.

Even in points 5 & 6 flash is receiving the variable from shockwave and passing it to php correctly (I set the php script to email me the variable received). None of the code has changed in ANY of the examples above. Its all exactly the same just published differently. And I *really* need to have this published as a .dcr to run within the browser window.

Does anyone have any ideas why this would happen?
        • 1. Re: LoadVariablesNum, Flash Asset Xtra
          larissahp Level 1
          Nobody has any ideas? Do I need to provide more information?
          • 2. Re: LoadVariablesNum, Flash Asset Xtra
            Level 7
            larissahp wrote:
            > Basically, I have a director mx 2004 movie which contains a flash 8
            > swf file. The director movie sends a variable to flash, flash then
            > sends this variable to a php script. The php script returns flash
            > some other variables, flash does some work and tells director when it
            > is finished. Director then does something with the screen image.

Is there some reason you don't communicate with the php script directly from
            the Director movie?

Andrew

• 3. Re: LoadVariablesNum, Flash Asset Xtra
              larissahp Level 1
              Mostly because I already had all the flash to php communication already programmed before I changed some ideas and started using director with the project. I *could* change it so Director communicates with php however then I still have to send all the information collected back to flash because director doesn't need any of it. Only flash needs to know the variables.

Basically, when flash is finished its job and tells director it is finished, director takes a screenshot of the flash sprite and uses that as a texture on a 3D model. So it really doesn't need to know the variables flash collects from php. These variables just tell the flash movieclips to either be hidden or visible to dynamically create different textures. I do this with flash because the movieclips are vectors so they are easier to work with and since there are so many of them the file size is much smaller than if I were to use bitmaps.

Its just easier for me to program the communication with flash but for the life of me I can't figure out why the browser published version of the director movie doesn't work. If I have no choice I will rewrite it but I'd prefer not too.

Is it possible the Flash Asset Xtra doesn't support the LoadVariablesNum function?