3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2014 11:09 PM by oimooki

Layer duration - Importing a PSD comp

Detonate 2004 Level 1

I've been trying to figure this one out for some time now.

Under previous versions of AE, we could manually set an import duration on a .psd comp.
      Now in CS5, this is option not even showing up!

When I try importing the .psd containing smart objects, it automatically sets these at 2 frames.

Try extending a layer duration to 30 seconds... it's impossible because it reaches the 9900 constraint at 6 seconds.

Anyone as found a solution for this in CS5?

• 1. Re: Layer duration - Importing a PSD comp
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AE remembers the length of the last composition you created. If you want a comp that's 30 seconds use Cmnd/Ctrl + N to open start a new composition and set the length of the comp to 30 seconds. Now import your PSD as a composition and the comp will be 30 seconds long. If your footage layers are not the same length as the composition then make sure you have the preferences set correctly. These are the way I have mine set up:

Preferences.png

The other thing to check is to make sure that you don't have Photoshop sequence checked. If you have files named ImageName1.psd and ImageName2.psd in the same folder the import dialogue will automatically check Photoshop Sequence and this will turn your footage into video comprised of only 2 frames.

You should also, at any time, be able to set the length of the composition and extend layers to the full length of the project. The maximum length of a composition in AE is  323676 frames which is 3 hours at 29.97 fps (NTSC Standard). The maximum frame rate is 99 fps. I hope this clears things up.

• 2. Re: Layer duration - Importing a PSD comp
            Detonate 2004 Level 1

Wow Rick, thank you so much for your help with this!
            The photoshop sequence (unchecked) did the trick =)
            Owe you a beer now!!!

• 3. Re: Layer duration - Importing a PSD comp
              oimooki Level 1

Oh my goodness. Thank you for the 2 year old solution post. Cheers Rick
              I was racking by brain trying to figure this out. Time to move things.