5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2011 12:17 PM by the_wine_snob

Rendering Lost after Project Closed.

Borgie78 Level 1

Running Prel9 on Dell Studio XPS (12GB RAM) on Windows 7.

1. Project is from a .avi file (result of 8mm film digitized to AVI format) - single clip.

2. Started with running Auto Analyzer and Smart Fix ok. Ended with about 100 clips, which is what I wanted.

3. Ensuring whole clip under work area in timeline, I render the area (15 minutes) and the red line changes to green.

4. I save the project, close it, open it, and the green line is back to red!

Is there something that I have missed doing? Have Steve Grisetti's Guide book and Classroom in a Book. If clues exist therein, a pointer would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul.

• 1. Re: Rendering Lost after Project Closed.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

Loosing the link to Render files can happen when one is editing to/from external HDD's, or networked drives. Do either of those figure into your setup?

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - also with Capture into a DV Project, I would not anticipate that your AVI files would need Rendering, until any editing, such as overlays, PiP, or Transitions are added. Can you outline the Capture proceedure, and the give the details of the resulting AVI files?

• 2. Re: Rendering Lost after Project Closed.
            Borgie78 Level 1

Answer is: Yes. I have been using a 1TB external drive. Will transfer

project to C: system drive.

Thanks for your help.

Paul.

• 3. Re: Rendering Lost after Project Closed.
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

One of the first issues, when using externals, is their drive letter assignment. If left alone, the OS will randomly assign a drive letter, based on the order that mass storage devices are recognized. One can set the drive letter in the OS, so that each external is always seen with the same, unique drive letter, regardless of what else is hooked up, or what order they are recognized.

I use FW-800 externals, as I migrate Projects between computers, and each external has a unique drive letter. I started with Z:\ and worked back down the alphabet. I set those drive letters in the OS of each computer, so that Z:\ is always seen as Z:\ in every computer.

This ARTICLE might have some useful tips for working with externals.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Rendering Lost after Project Closed.
                Borgie78 Level 1

Sorry, but shutting down the external HD and re-installing the project on C:

did not fix this problem. However, if I don't do Smart Fix, any transitions

or effects on clips that are generated by Auto Analyzer are rendered ok. I

had never used Smart Fix before and am not sure now if Prel7 had it.

Thanks for the info on externals. I will certainly try to follow in future.

However, now I have found another more insidious problem with transitions on

this movie. Since, as you would probably know, I am not very familiar with

Forum protocol, I am not sure if I should start another thread.

Paul

• 5. Re: Rendering Lost after Project Closed.
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

With features like the AutoAnalyze and Smart Fix, I cannot help you, as I do not use either, and still have PrE 4, without them.

Others can help there.

As for posting the problem with Transitions, there are several ways of thinking:

• One is that with a shorter thread, combining just a few issues is not such a bad idea. This is usually where say computer hardware has already been defined and might be useful. This saves having the same questions asked again.
                  • The other thought is that keeping the issues separate in unique threads, contributors can focus on just the one problem. This would probably be my rec. here, though there are no hard, fast rules. I knid of like to keep things compartmentalized, and simple to avoid confusion. Also, with several problems, it's easy for contributors to address one, or two, that they can help with, and then have another issue fall through the cracks.

Good luck, and if you decide to do a separate post on the Transitions, I'll keep my eyes open for it, and try to help. For the AutoAnalyze/Quick Fix, maybe Steve, Neale or others can help you there.

Hunt