6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2007 7:51 PM by Peter Flynn (Adobe)

How to uninstall Plug-in completey?

andrewblinex
      I made the mistake of installing the beta plug-in on the same Eclipse instance as FB 2. I did the uninstall using Add/Remove programs, but existing Flex 2 applications are still acting as if FB 3 is installed, preventing me from doing anything in FB 2.
      Any suggestions on how to fix this?
        • 1. Re: How to uninstall Plug-in completey?
          Yukari M Level 1

Just to be sure...

You installed FB3 beta on top of FB2.1? Is that correct? Please let me know.

-Yukari
          • 2. Re: How to uninstall Plug-in completey?
            andrewblinex Level 1
            Yeah.
            To make it even more interesting, even after I uninstalled FB 2.1 (leaving no installs of FB on the system) I was not able to reinstall FB 2.1. I had to delete Eclipse and start over again.
            Wouldn't be a big deal if we knew whether or not FB3 is a free upgrade for existing FB 2 users, but can't take that chance with active Flex projects going on....
            • 3. Re: How to uninstall Plug-in completey?
              Peter Flynn (Adobe) Adobe Employee
              Hi Andrew,

Regardless of pricing, etc., you should not install FB 3 directly into the same folder as FB 2.1. As you've discovered, this can cause trouble with your workspace or your Eclipse setup.

But the cool thing about installing them into separate folders is that you can use separate workspaces to try out FB 3 while keeping the "safety net" of FB 2.1.

One question though: what do you mean by "existing Flex 2 applications are still acting as if FB 3 is installed"? Are you talking about your FB 3 projects not loading in FB 2.1, or something else?

- Peter
              • 4. Re: How to uninstall Plug-in completey?
                matt_chotin Level 3
                quote:

Originally posted by: andrewblinex
                Wouldn't be a big deal if we knew whether or not FB3 is a free upgrade for existing FB 2 users, but can't take that chance with active Flex projects going on....

FB3 won't be a free upgrade but I think you'll find the upgrade price to be quite reasonable. Pricing info isn't released yet.

Matt
                Adobe
                • 5. Re: How to uninstall Plug-in completey?
                  andrewblinex Level 1
                  Peter,
                  Heh, figured that out a little late. The Release Notes probably should make that a little more explicit so others don't do the same thing I did.
                  I probably would have installed it in a separate eclipse directory, but HD space is at a premium for me right now ;)
                  What I meant by existing Flex 2 apps still acting like FB3 was installed is that the FB3 expires message was still there, the Flex license manager only accepted serial numbers for FB3 products (that were uninstalled), and no matter what existing FB2 projects I opened, none of the Flex perspectives worked (MXML files were flat files with now design/code views, AS files with no code hints, etc). I'm not sure, but I would have been willing to bet that saving files in the project didn't result in builds either.

Matt,
                  I would have been greatly surprised if FB3 was a free upgrade, especially considering it's bundled with AIR! (still like the Apollo codename better....)
                  Though, if it would have been a free upgrade and I knew for certain that it would (a) continue working or (b) have a production release after the 141 days (kudos to y'all for giving that extension for the trial to existing FB2 users!!!) I would have stuck with my dilemma knowing that it would be resolving itself eventually without leaving my projects high & dry. But who knows better than developers that deadlines are fickle things :D

Thanks for replies.
                  Andrew
                  • 6. Re: How to uninstall Plug-in completey?
                    Peter Flynn (Adobe) Adobe Employee
                    Andrew,

Yep, it sounds like your FB setup was completely hosed. I hope it's all better now!

You're right that the release notes should give a much clearer warning. I've just filed a documentation bug to that effect:
                    https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FLEXDOCS-12

- Peter