9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2007 11:36 PM by Newsgroup_User

Problems opening a PDF in Acro Reader 8 with BuddyAPI?

Applied CD Level 1
      I apologize in advance for not having enough information to properly diagnosis this situation, I’m encountering considerable resistance from others in my company to go back to the client and ask for additional details, but here’s the situation:

We’ve got a project out in the field that opens PDF files using BuddyAPI (code below) … it worked fine when the client machines were all using Acro Reader 7.x Some time during the year the client’s IT department upgraded everyone to Acro Reader 8.x, now it works on some machines and not on others. I don’t know how many machines it doesn’t work on, at least one, probably two (vs 4000 copies of the project out in the field). What do I mean by “doesn’t work” …well, I’m not really sure … when I ask if the client can open the PDFs directly, outside of our app, I get an answer similar to “yeah, they must have tried that … just post the question on the forum” … I also don’t know if an error is generated, I’m told simply the PDFs don’t open, although if an error were generated I would think someone would mention it. Sorry to vent, I know it’s not much to work with, but if someone else has a similar problem I’d love to know about it.

BTW: I’ve got 3 machines here in the office all with Acro Reader 8, works fine on all of them.
        • 1. Re: Problems opening a PDF in Acro Reader 8 with BuddyAPI?
          Level 7
          > errCode = baOpenFile(myPathString,"")

While it is probably completely unrelated (since it has worked in the
          past), the second parameter that baOpenFile() takes should be one of 4
          state options and I always use one of these (instead of passing an empty
          string)
          • 2. Re: Problems opening a PDF in Acro Reader 8 with BuddyAPI?
            Jason Moore Level 1
            Just a note to add we've hit exactly the same issue, with Acrobat failing to launch, no error, no nothin'. Robust with Acrobat 7, but somewhat tempramental with v8. We're investigating options...

• 3. Re: Problems opening a PDF in Acro Reader 8 with   BuddyAPI?
              Level 7
              Are you using Buddy API (or another xtra) to do the opening? If so, is
              there an error returned?
              • 4. Re: Problems opening a PDF in Acro Reader 8 with BuddyAPI?
                Applied CD Level 1
                Just a quick update. The client has confirmed that they can open the PDFs externally, no error is generated by BuddyAPI from our app. I have an appointment this afternoon to walk the client through some tests … we use the same code in the same project to open Word docs as well … it will be interesting to see if the problem is Acro specific. Fortunately my contact is local so I can build and send over a diagnostic CD if required. I’ll post results when I have them.

BTW: I’ve been using the code above so long I don’t remember why I set the state string to “” … might have been an ancient carry over from the Mac. I'll fix it going forward and look into that being the cause here.
                • 5. Re: Problems opening a PDF in Acro Reader 8 with BuddyAPI?
                  Level 7
                  Applied CD wrote:
                  > Just a quick update. The client has confirmed that they can open the
                  > PDFs externally, no error is generated by BuddyAPI from our app. I
                  > have an appointment this afternoon to walk the client through some
                  > tests ? we use the same code in the same project to open Word docs as
                  > well ? it will be interesting to see if the problem is Acro specific.
                  > Fortunately my contact is local so I can build and send over a
                  > diagnostic CD if required. I?ll post results when I have them.

Does AcroRd32.exe show up in the Processes tab in Task Manager, but fail to
                  display, or does it fail to be launched?

If the former, perhaps you could get its window handle and prod it with
                  baSetWindowState.

Andrew

• 6. Re: Problems opening a PDF in Acro Reader 8 with BuddyAPI?
                    Applied CD Level 1
                    I don't know yet but it's on my list of questions for the client. If AcroRd32 is running the problem could be as simple as my being sloppy with specifying the window state in baOpenFile ... it's never been a problem before, but who knows, maybe some setups are just sensitive.
                    • 7. Re: Problems opening a PDF in Acro Reader 8 with BuddyAPI?
                      Applied CD Level 1
                      OK, just got off the phone with the client. Attempting to open a PDF from our app puts AcroRd32.exe on the process list with 50% CPU usage and immediately locks our application (program not responding) … the Acro Reader window is never opened, no error displayed. Killing the AcroRd32 process restores interactivity to the projector. The same code, when used to open a Word doc works fine.

I’m going to send a diagnostic CD to the client that simply opens a test PDF but right now the only thing different I can think of is to explicitly set the window state. I’ll also try several versions of PDF documents although I think that’s a little far fetched. I'll try displaying the window title and handle list and maybe I can see how far Acrobat is getting in its launch. I’m open to suggestions on what else I might include.
                      • 8. Re: Problems opening a PDF in Acro Reader 8 with BuddyAPI?
                        Datredigital Level 1
                        I just received a call this morning regarding CD's I made with the Acrobat BuddyAPI which is no longer working on Windows machines that have been upgraded to Acrobat 8. This is a HUGE problem for us now. Has anyone else learned of any answers on how to correct this problem? Mac side seems unaffected so far. Oldp projects are being returned to me now to reconstruct so they open pdf's again. It's the same problem as described above, Acrobat won't launch from my Director menu anymore (in Acrobat 8), nothing at all happens. No error, nothing. The pdf can be opened from the CD when the file is clicked on separately.
                        This is a costly error for us now. Any help is appreciated.
                        • 9. Re: Problems opening a PDF in Acro Reader 8 with BuddyAPI?
                          Level 7
                          Hi all,

I just posted this in anotehr thread dealing with the same issue.

I have emailed Gary who develops the Buddy API Xtra and he did some
                          testing and this is what he reported.

It seems that when Adobe install Reader 8.0, they don't implement an
                          'Open' association, but a 'Read' one. If you right click on a .pdf file
                          you will see that the actions available don't include Open. Now, this
                          should only affect people using an older version of Buddy, that was
                          something changed for Acrobat 7 and .fdf files, so that if there wasn't
                          a Open action, it used the default one instead. So the best option is to
                          use the current version of Buddy. But to make it work with programs
                          still older buddy that can't be changed, it should be possible to write
                          a .reg script or updater to add the Open command to the list of actions,
                          then older version of buddy will work. You can use this script in a
                          projector to update the registry so that pdf files will open. So that
                          could be used in a updater projector.

on setAcroOpenReg
                          str = baReadRegString( "Applications\AcroRD32.exe\shell\Read\command",
                          "", "", "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT" )
                          if length( str ) > 0 then
                          baWriteRegString( "Applications\AcroRD32.exe\shell\Open\command",
                          "", str, "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT" )
                          end if
                          end

Hope that helps.

regards
                          Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
                          http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
                          http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
                          email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au