3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2011 8:50 AM by ryclark

adjusting input level/gain/trim

silentfilmmusic

I am unable to adjust the input level on a track in multi-track mode.  The level of my source is too high and peaks/clips.  On a real mixer I'd adjust the trim but I'm not sure I've found this on Audition.  There is a "knob" to adjust that, according to the FAQ, adjusts the input leve, but when I lower it the level of the sound that I hear from my speakers goes down but the meter levels don't change at all, and any clipping or distortion doesn't change.

I'm enjoying a lot of the features in Audition, especially the built-in effects, like the convolution reverb.

Thanks!

Ben

• 1. Re: adjusting input level/gain/trim
          ryclark Level 6

Audition just records what is sent to it. There is no control over input levels. That needs to be done at the source, either using controls supplied with your audio interface or possibly in the Operating System's audio panel. What source are you recording that has such high levels?

• 2. Re: adjusting input level/gain/trim
            silentfilmmusic Level 1

I am using a virtual instrument. While it does have volume output controls, I was surprised to find that -- as you say -- Audition only records what is sent in to it.   Are there any plans to implement such a control on Audition?  Freeware/cheepware apps like GarageBand and Audacity have input level controls to avoid distortion from an incoming audio source, just like every Mackie mixer I've used has a trim/gain knob.  My workaround now is to record in Audacity and then bring the wav/aiff files in to Audition for effects et al, but I wish I didn't have to do this.

Thanks.

Ben

• 3. Re: adjusting input level/gain/trim
              ryclark Level 6

By using a digital level control to adjust the level of an audio signal already in the digital domain reduces the bit depth. If you start with a 16 bit audio stream and reduce it's level by 12dB then you reduce the bit depth to the equivalnet of only 14 bits. Adjusting the levels in Garageband or Audacity is degrading the audio even before you start processing it. So it's best to get the levels correct at point of origin.