4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2007 9:24 AM by Newsgroup_User

Logo construction

ROGM
      I have a logo supplied by a company. It's Ok but the edges are a bit rough on close inspection. I no little about SVG but that it does produce perfect edges. Is it possible to redo or convert the graphic under SVG so the edges are Vgood and the colors perfect for an exported jpg/png or gif (only two colors in this one)?

Thanks for your time.
        • 1. Re: Logo construction
          Level 7
          ROGM wrote:

> I have a logo supplied by a company. It's Ok but the edges are a bit rough on
          > close inspection. I no little about SVG but that it does produce perfect edges.
          > Is it possible to redo or convert the graphic under SVG so the edges are Vgood
          > and the colors perfect for an exported jpg/png or gif (only two colors in this
          > one)?

Fireworks doesn't support SVG format. You could use PNG 32 format instead.

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          • 2. Re: Logo construction
            abeall Level 3
            Sounds like you have a raster(bimap/pixel) image, such as a gif, jpg, png, or other, and you want to convert to a scalable vector format. Some vector programs have the ability to "trace" a bitmap into a vector(though not always perfectly) -- Illustrator, FreeHand, and Flash can all do this. Firework doesn't have a trace command. You can, however, convert a pixel selection into a vector, though again it is not usually perfect:

1) Use the Magic Wand Tool, found in the tool panel on the left under the "Bitmap" section
            2) Click on a solid area of the logo
            3) If there are more than one solid areas, hold shift and click on each area to add it to the selection
            4) Once all areas are selected, right ckick and choose Modify Marquee > Convert to Path

At this point you have a vector shape which can be scaled to any size without losing quality. You will porobably need to adjust the stroke and fill color using the Properties panel at the bottom of the UI.

HTH
            • 3. Re: Logo construction
              ROGM Level 1
              Thanks, I have flash and Inkscape as well so I will experiment with these.
              • 4. Re: Logo construction
                Level 7
                ROGM;
                I would hope the original source for the logo iss vector and the client
                might be able to produce it on request. This happens quite frequently in my
                own work--clients send me a highly compressed jpeg logo, but provide a
                resolution independent vector version (usually ai, fhd or eps) on request.
                Otherwise, if the logo is not overly complex, and you have or can get the
                fonts, it is usually best to re-create logos by hand. -Tom Unger