9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2011 9:09 AM by SuperCrawler

Adobe CS5 Master Collection System Requirements - A Mistake?

SuperCrawler Level 1

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/mastercollection

I am a student who purchased Adobe CS5 Master Collection a few weeks back.

Before purchasing the product I looked at the system requirements at the link above.

I thought, "Cool! That's not too hectic, I have enough cash to build a computer with those system specs."

So I went and bought Adobe CS5 Master Collection, all amped up and ready to get a computer for it, excited to start learning the program.

Looking at different options around the specs, in Adobe's link above, I started asking questions, and soon I was advised by many users that those specs WOULDN'T do it for Adobe CS5 Master Collection.

Looking at my budget, comparing it to the suggested builds in this Forum, I am now depressed, because the cheapest Budget Build is way out of range of my budget.

I feel let down, because I purchased a program with the trust that Adobe provided those system requirements SO THAT the program can run nicely on those specs.

So my question:

WHY are the system requirements, at the link above, 2GB of RAM (4 or more reccommended) and Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Phenom II, if there are so many warnings on this and other forums that those specs will not be enough? (The Budget Build in this Forum suggests a quad core and 8GB of RAM)

Does this mean that had I bought a computer going on the specs provided in Adobe's link above, say a Core 2 Duo and 4GB of RAM, that I then would NOT have been able to get started nicely, learning and working with Adobe CS5 Master Collection?

• 1. Re: Adobe CS5 Master Collection System Requirements - A Mistake?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

The problem is that the minimum requirements on the Adobe site are just that: MINIMUM.

Now minimum requirements are a moving target, very much dependent on the codec used with your material, DV and HDV being 'easy' codecs, AVCHD or RED being 'hard' codecs.

Another thing to consider is what one may find bearable performance, another may consider unacceptable.

I'm looking into the possibility to write an article on these requirements from different perspectives, but am nowhere near finishing it yet.

Had you bought a Core2Duo, you would have been able to edit DV and even HDV with relative ease, but not AVCHD, that would be overreaching.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adobe CS5 Master Collection System Requirements - A Mistake?
            SuperCrawler Level 1

Harm Millaard wrote:

I'm looking into the possibility to write an article on these requirements from different perspectives, but am nowhere near finishing it yet.

Yay! That is a brilliant idea for newbies like me. It would be nice if on that page of Adobe's System Requirements (link in post above), there was a link to an article as you describe above, because a newbie don't really know where to look for what.

Harm Millaard wrote:

Now minimum requirements are a moving target, very much dependent on the codec used with your material, DV and HDV being 'easy' codecs, AVCHD or RED being 'hard' codecs.

That's just the thing - what does a newbie know about codec yet? We can only tell once we've learned and played with it.

Harm Millaard wrote:

Another thing to consider is what one may find bearable performance, another may consider unacceptable.

I think there are those, like me, who don't miss the Lamborghini, because we never had it, so we're not that spoiled yet. So for us who are used to 120km per hour max, we're quite content knowing that we will get there in an hour's time, without failure.

I mean that if my computer is not as fast as the pros' computers, at least I want to be able to work with ALL the programs, KNOWING that they will do the job without freezing up on me.

In the mean time I could dream and save up for my Lamborghini.

Harm Millaard wrote:

Had you bought a Core2Duo, you would have been able to edit DV and even HDV with relative ease, but not AVCHD, that would be overreaching.

I am such a newbie that I haven't even learned to build a website yet, so I wonder how long it would be until I edit AVCHD.

Imagining that I bought the Core2Duo :

1. As a beginner, could I keep myself busy with CS5 for quite a while, learning quite a bit, while I save up for my Lamborghini?

2. Could I build a large website with short videos edited with animation?

Perhaps if I could get away with a Core2Duo as a beginner, it shouldn't be hard to save up in the mean time and sell the Core2Duo as my knowledge and needs have grown?

• 3. Re: Adobe CS5 Master Collection System Requirements - A Mistake?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Your post put some extra pressure on making that article. I will be writing it shortly, but here is an overview (without the explanatory notes):

System requirements CS5.png

Click on the image to enlarge it.

Now this begs the question of what is easy, intermediate and difficult? I have to look carefully at that, but for now use this:

1. Easy is DV and HDV

2. Intermediate is XDCAM, Cineform, and P2

3. Difficult is AVCHD, RED and DSLR

There are a number of formats that are not so clearly categorized, but in general terms, the more compressed the material is, the more difficult it becomes. Does that mean uncompressed is easy? Not really, it is easy on the CPU, but it is hard on the disk I/O system and on the memory. There are too many variables in play to simply say X is easy and Y is difficult.

For newbies there is an overview tab at the top of the hardware forum that lead to a number of articles that can be helpful.

In addition there is the PPBM5 Benchmark that can be quite informative as well. Just have a look.

• 4. Re: Adobe CS5 Master Collection System Requirements - A Mistake?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Have a look here: Adobe Forums: System requirements for CS5

Thanks for drawing my attention to this lacking info and - if acceptable to Adobe - maybe one of the mods can also include this in the overview tab.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Adobe CS5 Master Collection System Requirements - A Mistake?
                  Mortimer IOU Level 2

Harm --

Maybe it's time to update that list. There are already several links that talk about system requrements

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/633773

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/433549

and your latest would add another.

They do not all seem consistent with each other, and so can be confusing for users looking to put together a new pc.

• 6. Re: Adobe CS5 Master Collection System Requirements - A Mistake?
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Jerry,

Link 1 is about the shift in emphasis towards disk setup.

Link 2 is referenced in this article and the basis for the additional info.

Link 3 is not related to CS5 but generic to editing rigs.

I agree that some articles should be updated and possibly combined with different links to some sub-articles. It appears as if it would require a rewrite of several articles into a new book. Give me some slack, please...

• 7. Re: Adobe CS5 Master Collection System Requirements - A Mistake?
                      SuperCrawler Level 1

Harm Millaard wrote:

Now this begs the question of what is easy, intermediate and difficult?

There are too many variables in play to simply say X is easy and Y is difficult.

I understand.

Harm Millaard wrote:

For newbies there is an overview tab at the top of the hardware forum that lead to a number of articles that can be helpful.

I found the article "PC buying guide for NLE" at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/433549 very helpful. Thanks.

I found the "What PC to build" article at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/598040 interesting but depressing due to my limited budget at present which only allows for the Minimum Adobe Requirements.

Harm Millaard wrote:

In addition there is the PPBM5 Benchmark that can be quite informative as well. Just have a look.

I like this PPBM5 Benchmark. It gives me a nice, clear picture of what I can dream for.

Harm Millaard wrote:

System requirements CS5.png

Even without the explanatory notes, I found this overview helpful. Thanks.

Harm Millaard wrote:

Now this begs the question of what is easy, intermediate and difficult? I have to look carefully at that, but for now use this:

1. Easy is DV and HDV

2. Intermediate is XDCAM, Cineform, and P2

3. Difficult is AVCHD, RED and DSLR

Although I understand that it begs the question of what is easy, intermediate and difficult, using 1, 2 and 3 above at least provided me with a guideline. Thank you.

If I could find VIDEO DEMO EXAMPLES from Adobe Tutorials, or YouTube or similar, of what can be achieved with 1. Easy (DV and HDV), 2. Intermediate (XDCAM, Cineform, and P2 and 3. Difficult (AVCHD, RED and DSLR, it could -

1. help me understand what I can achieve with a Core 2 Duo, and

2. help me decide whether or not my needs at present will stretch further than Easy (DV and HDV).

My newbie question:

Can the Minimum Adobe Requirements cope with some degree of multitasking, like running Dreamweaver, Flash and Photoshop simultaneously with several opened files without the system freezing up on me while editing?

• 8. Re: Adobe CS5 Master Collection System Requirements - A Mistake?
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

With a sufficiently capable CPU, no problem, provided you have the right disk I/O system and memory as well, yes.

Based on the Adobe minimum requirements, no way. Even a single application like PR with AVCHD codec material will effectively come to a halt. Multi-tasking DW and PS is doable on such a system.

• 9. Re: Adobe CS5 Master Collection System Requirements - A Mistake?
                          SuperCrawler Level 1

Thanks for the new article "System requirements for CS5" at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/810750?tstart=0 !

I really appreciate it very much. I found it very informative and it helped me understand the topic so much better.

I hope that it will be included in the overview tab for other newbies like me.

Other articles in this Forum that I found very helpful:

This article helped me understand how things have changed since CS5's release and what it means for my system setup.

EXCELLENT article with helpful links. Thanks.

JerryK wrote:

They do not all seem consistent with each other, and so can be confusing for users looking to put together a new pc.

Now that I have read several articles and discussions in this Forum, my understanding is that the reason why they may "not all seem consistent with each other" is because of the fact that the nature of each one's editing projects vary from one another which have a major impact on the hardware required to run projects effectively. So what works for one does not work for another.

Yes, at this stage I do indeed find it VERY confusing as a newbie looking to put together a new PC, within my budget.

However, I understand now that it would be hard for anyone to come up with a list of systems that will guarantee specific performance within specific budgets, because there are too many variables at play.

The reality is that there are newbies who are just starting out for the first time, having no clue what all Adobe is about and what they can and are going to do with the program.

I think that newbies like me who have to settle for a very low budget PC at first, just to get started, have to content with the AWARENESS that their system will allow only so much performance and nothing more.

It would be nice if there were benchmark results of low budget PC's for beginners working with DV and HD, to help them at least not buy utterly useless systems, but systems that, though not super fast, will perform tasks specified in such a benchmark, with an added note that while using such a low budget PC (for the purpose of at least getting started with some projects as newbies/students), they could read about upgrades and start saving their coins for upgrades.

Thank you for your answer in post 8:

Harm Millaard wrote:

With a sufficiently capable CPU, no problem, provided you have the right disk I/O system and memory as well, yes.

Based on the Adobe minimum requirements, no way. Even a single application like PR with AVCHD codec material will effectively come to a halt. Multi-tasking DW and PS is doable on such a system.

My newbie question:

With reference to post 7 and 8 above, if you can suggest a CPU, memory and disk I/O system for my present specific need, as described in 7 above, i.e. multi-tasking Dreamweaver, Photoshop and Flash, please do. I will view your suggestion(s) in this case as guide lines.