7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2008 11:13 AM by

Transparent mask

jippybeale
      This is a really simple thing that I should know how to do...!

But can someone please explain how I can paste a mask onto an object and have it remove anything underneath it on the layer below to leave a transparant area.

Ie. If I have a square 100x100 and want a 'hole' in the middle of it that allows any lower layers to show through, how do I paste a circle onto the square to achieve this.

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Knock out mask
          Level 7
          Hi Jippy,

> Ie. If I have a square 100x100 and want a 'hole' in the middle of it that
          > allows any lower layers to show through, how do I paste a circle onto the
          > square to achieve this.

Create the circle above the square, fill it with white, select both items,
          then Modify>Mask>group as mask.

Aloha,

Jerry

• 2. Re: Knock out mask
            jippybeale Level 1
            Hi Jerry,

Thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately this doesnt quite achieve what I want - the way you described leaves me with a circle filled with the color of the square. What I want to be left with is a square with a circle 'cut out' of the middle of it which layers behind it can be seen through the hole. Any ideas how to achieve this?

Thanks!
            • 3. Re: Knock out mask
              Level 7
              Hi Jippy,

> Thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately this doesnt quite
              > achieve
              > what I want - the way you described leaves me with a circle filled with
              > the
              > color of the square. What I want to be left with is a square with a circle
              > 'cut
              > out' of the middle of it which layers behind it can be seen through the
              > hole.
              > Any ideas how to achieve this?

OK, you use the same technique: put the circle on top of the layer you want
              to see, fill it with white, select both, Modify>Mask>Group as mask. You
              should now see the layer as a circle. Now make your square, and put the
              circle on top of it.

Alternately, you could make your square, make a circle on top of it, select
              both, then Modify>Combine paths>Punch, which will give you the square with a
              hole in it - put this on top of the layer you want to see.

Aloha,

Jerry

• 4. Re: Transparent mask
                yupieyi Level 1
                Select the object and on property Modify>Mask>group as mask.
                • 5. Re: Transparent mask
                  kiss4me08
                  kool thanks
                  • 6. Re: Transparent mask
                    yupieyi Level 1
                    Thanks buddy,... i was able to create the exact shape i had in mind!
                    • 7. Re: Transparent mask
                      it was nice information i was first in this forum thank you very much