2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2007 6:11 AM by don0212

Tables and lists and maintenance

don0212
      I've looked through the CS3 Bible and still can't see any way to handle a very simple problem. I want a table on my web page which will contain 3 columns and multiple rows. I simply want to put a name in each cell. Since the list of name is long I don't want one column to contain all the names. The names are maintained outside of DW and in sorted order. It really doesn't matter if the names are loaded in row order, such as the first three names go into the first row and the fourth, fifth and sixth names go into the second row, and so on. Or, the first fifty names go in to the first column and then the next fifty go into the second column and the last forty-nine names go into the third column. How do I re-seed the table when the list of names changes. One name drops out for instance or a new name is added? It doesn't seem to me to be amenable to Spry or any form usage. What would be the best way to accomplish this? I can't find any relevent information regarding this type of table filling so I'll end up with approximately three equal columns, although one or two of the columns might be one cell longer. What have I overlooked?
        • 1. Re: Tables and lists and maintenance
          Level 7
          The names are
          > maintained outside of DW and in sorted order.

How is the content stored outside DW? In a database (preferably) or Excel
          spreadsheet or some other method?

I want a table on my web page which will contain 3 columns and
          > multiple rows. I simply want to put a name in each cell. Since the list
          > of
          > name is long I don't want one column to contain all the names. It really
          > doesn't matter if the
          > names are loaded in row order, such as the first three names go into the
          > first
          > row and the fourth, fifth and sixth names go into the second row, and so
          > on.
          > Or, the first fifty names go in to the first column and then the next
          > fifty go
          > into the second column and the last forty-nine names go into the third
          > column.
          > How do I re-seed the table when the list of names changes. One name drops
          > out
          > for instance or a new name is added?

One option:
          Connect the page to a database and use Tom Muck's Horizontal Looper Repeat
          Region extension to pull the names from the database and display the names
          on the webpage in the format that you want.
          http://www.tom-muck.com/extensions/help/HorizontalLooper/

--
          Regards

John Waller

• 2. Re: Tables and lists and maintenance
            don0212 Level 1
            Thanks for the response. I just got finished testing and implementing something. I took the data into Excel and made new cells featuring the additional xml coding which would be required. I then copy this into an xml page in DW and the use Spry to load the table. I wasn't sure I could use this method as I don't require header information and there are three columns. The data come to me from another source, produced in Word. It works well since I tested and realized I didn't need white spaces in xml. Thanks again for the response.