2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2011 9:05 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Proper Render Farm

alfo77777 Level 1

Hi

I'm using Dropbox as a network location (because I've tried and failed many times to create a shared folder between Mac OSX 10.6, Windows 7 and Windows Vista) and it works fine.

I've managed to use the Watch folder to get another computer to render what I've finished, but I can't get my computer and the other computers to render the same thing, splitting the workload between the computers. As I'm fairly new to AE CS5, please could someone post step-by-step instuctions, or send me a link to somewhere that has step-by-step instructions.

Thanks in advance

alfo77777

• 1. Re: Proper Render Farm
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Let me guess: You are rendering movie clips, yes? If so, then there is nothing you can do. It's not even AE's fault, it's a general limitation of multiple clients not being allowed to access the same file for writing. Use image sequences and it should work. If you already do, then this may specific to the Dropbox setup and the clients appear to each other as being on different subnets, which also would prevent them from cooperating... Not sure what else you need to know. It's pretty much explained in the online help...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Proper Render Farm
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There are instruction here. There's a tutorial by Rhys Enniks linked to from that page that shows how to do it.

There are instructions for a different method here. That page has a link to a tutorial by Aharon Rabinowitz.