6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2007 4:59 AM by Newsgroup_User

Can No Longer Open html files

lloydtennison
      I Fireworks 8, I was able to save a web page as a complete document to the local drive and then open it with Fireworks to work with it. With CS3 all I get is a totally white canvas. I have checked that my preferences are all set the same, and they are. I use this feature all the time for a variety of functions, i.e., combining slices to make one gif, etc. Am I missing something - or is that function no longer there?

It shows it can open Html files, but it will not even open it's own exported html files. Get "internal error." The file is fine ( and it just created it.)
        • 1. Re: Can No Longer Open html files
          Level 1
          Please remember that Fireworks IS NOT a html editing app. Fireworks IS a web image and basic web graphic editing application.

To modify or edit HTML, use a HTML editing app, such as Dreamweaver CS3.

Does that help, no?
          • 2. Re: Can No Longer Open html files
            lloydtennison Level 1
            No. I mean for editing the images. The open command even shows html as an option to open, it just does not open the file at all. I just creates a new one.

The reasons for opening an html file in Fireworks have nothing to do with Dreamweaver or coding, just images and image manipulation. If open html is an option, as it is, it should open the file. It used to open with all slices intact, and all html code behind it. Now it just opens a white page.

It is a bug and problem since it does not do as it should.

• 3. Can No Longer Open html files
              Level 1
              No, it is not a bug at all. It is all about how you do this and understand the primary functionality of Fw itself, and how it do for you. If you don't fully understand how it works, then you have problem trying to understand how it works and what's not.

Then, perhaps that you clearly do not understand the functionality of Fw CS3, and how it relates to exported HTML files created by Fw CS3.

It is very common, wide misunderstanding among other, especially with newbies using Fw app, and they thought that if Fw could create HTML code. Actually, it was created by side of pre-scripted coding inside the app itself, and that it does the rest for you.

As for working with sliced images around Fw CS3, as any legacy versions of Fw, the concept of sliced images is often up for the air and debates. Everyone have different opinion about sliced images, and what not and what's cool.

I personally dislike sliced images. If having lots of sliced images, means slower downloading time and more codes involved.

I get the feeling that you really not understand how Fw works, and how it relates to your question about HTML code in Fw. Please try to understand that FW itself CANNOT edit HTML. It only just exports html code for you. However, it is important to note, it is NOT perfect html code.

It is best IF you work with pre-scripted HTML code in Dreamweaver, or any web authoring app to work with HTML directly.

If you are not taking my advice, so be it. I am out of this discussion. End of discussion!

And good luck!

quote:

Originally posted by: lloydtennison
              No. I mean for editing the images. The open command even shows html as an option to open, it just does not open the file at all. I just creates a new one.

The reasons for opening an html file in Fireworks have nothing to do with Dreamweaver or coding, just images and image manipulation. If open html is an option, as it is, it should open the file. It used to open with all slices intact, and all html code behind it. Now it just opens a white page.

It is a bug and problem since it does not do as it should.

• 4. Re: Can No Longer Open html files
                lloydtennison Level 1
                No, we are talking apples and bananas here. Since Fireworks 3.0 Fireworks has been able to open a locally sourced html file. Its is a feature, that was previously listed in the features of Fireworks on the Macromedia website.

I have never said I wanted to edit html code. I fact I specificly said image manipulation - not html manipulation.

With your notes -what would Fireworks be doing opening a html page? Why would it be a supported format at all? It is not in Photoshop, just to show there is a difference.
                • 5. Re: Can No Longer Open html files
                  Level 7
                  lloydtennison,

Do you have a link to any of the files you can't open anymore?
                  I would like to try one out to see if I see the same thing you are seeing.

alex

lloydtennison wrote:
                  > I Fireworks 8, I was able to save a web page as a complete document to the
                  > local drive and then open it with Fireworks to work with it. With CS3 all I
                  > get is a totally white canvas. I have checked that my preferences are all set
                  > the same, and they are. I use this feature all the time for a variety of
                  > functions, i.e., combining slices to make one gif, etc. Am I missing something
                  > - or is that function no longer there?
                  >
                  >
                  • 6. Re: Can No Longer Open html files
                    Level 7
                    Alex Mariño wrote:
                    > lloydtennison,
                    >
                    > Do you have a link to any of the files you can't open anymore?
                    > I would like to try one out to see if I see the same thing you are seeing.
                    >
                    > alex
                    >

Me too

--
                    Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                    Extending Knowledge, Daily
                    http://www.communityMX.com/
                    CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                    http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                    ---
                    .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
                    news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
                    news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver