8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2011 7:11 AM by the_wine_snob

Can we install ELEMENTS on same system as PRO?

priyp

Hello

Please may I ask a question on behalf of my elderly father?

He is an enthusiastic user of Adobe Premiere PRO for producing home movies for his family. He is on his 3rd machine which currently uses CS3 and (I believe a MATROX RT capture card ?). His 1st machine used v6 and is 2nd machine used CS1.5 ??

I mentioned he is elderly ... I know v.little about what he does, but it seems apparent to me he gets VERY confused and makes subtle changes to the program (inadvertently) which he then doesn't understand, and cannot correct or go back. His source for all his work is a Panasonic MiniDV camera.

I was wondering if he might benefit from a 'downgrade' to ELEMENTS v9 which may be easier to use and less confusing (but hopefully work in the same manner)? Any comments would be HUGELY appreciated. He uses ENCORE to produce the DVDs. Can we purchase ELEMENTS v9 and install it on the same machine and see how he gets on with it (without removing PRO CS3) or will there be some incompatability issues?

Thankyou VERY much for any advice

Kind regards from UK

priyp

• 1. Re: Can we install ELEMENTS on same system as PRO?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You can certainly have Elements and CS3 on the same computer -- although the pro software is so much better, powerful and more stable, I'm not sure dad will like it better.

Still, it's worth a try. Particularly since he's editing miniDV, the ideal format for editing on a home PC.

• 2. Re: Can we install ELEMENTS on same system as PRO?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

priyp wrote: - I mentioned he is elderly ... I know v.little about what he does, but it seems apparent to me he gets VERY confused and makes subtle changes to the program (inadvertently) which he then doesn't understand, and cannot correct or go back. His source for all his work is a Panasonic MiniDV camera.

Actually, helping him create a (one page?) list of step-by-step commands might work better than learning a new program... so he may simply go down a checklist to do what he needs

Also, having him work with pen & paper, so he writes down what he just did, will help

• 3. Re: Can we install ELEMENTS on same system as PRO?
              P_Forrest Level 1

I wouldn't change his workflow if it already works for him and he likes it. 

You can have both on your PC (I have both PrePro CS5 and PE9) and they don't interfer with each other at all.   Though, if he is using CS3, I assume his computer is a few years old and it might not take well to PE9.

cheerio!

Petey

• 4. Re: Can we install ELEMENTS on same system as PRO?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, let's see if I can help a bit.

First, I am elderly, so that gives me a tad of insight. Also, I have used PrPro for, well ever since it was called Pro. I also have PrE (4.0) on my laptop, which also currently has PrPro 2.0. Only one tiny glitch, upon installing PrE, as it broke CS2 Production Studio, and I had to do a repair install for each element of that suite - Adobe never considered that one might have CS2 Production Studio and then add PrE 4.0. Simple fix, once I figured out what happened. With that one mis-step, no issues. I understand that was all fixed, after CS2 and PrE 4.0, so there shoud be no concerns with both co-existing.

Now, I'll offer my comments on using the two programs - for me, with a cine background, PrPro works more like my old Moviola 8-plate flat-bed film editor did. Things just fall into place for me. PrE is a neat program, but much is hidden behind big-buttons, Presets and a streamlined GUI. While I use PrE, I have to admit that for my clients, or for big Projects, I go to PrPro, without hesitation. I spend more hours in PrE, to answer questions in this forum.

If your dad is comfortable with PrPro, I'd not try to change that. Though it seems oxymoronic, there is a learning curve, going in either direction. It took my as long to get up to speed with PrE, as it did with PrPro from AVID.

Just my observations, and tell your dad hello - I am so glad to hear of another older gent working with PrPro.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Can we install ELEMENTS on same system as PRO?
                  Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

Hi Bill,

I liked your answer, and yes I too am elderly 75+ and still making Premiere Elements 4 sing along like a youngster and Premiere Pro which we have used for over 5-7 years., but, our change of computer to XEON Quad suited to CS5 does make even the old 32 bit software move a little better. Pity we cannot defragment the problems in Japan ?

Cheers from down under 

• 6. Re: Can we install ELEMENTS on same system as PRO?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

You actually have me by a few years, but not THAT many.

Yes, I only wish that we had Ctrl+Z for Japan.

Now, having grown up in the Deep South, and having lived on the MS Gulf Coast and New Orleans, I have to say that the Japanese people are the paradigm of facing a severe problem, and getting on with trying to find solutions for themselves and for each other. My heart goes out to them, but I have to admit to having a wonderful respect. Same for the folk in Christchurch, NZ and Chile.

Unfortunately, I do not think that we've seen the last of "The Ring of Fire," for 2011 - but here's hoping,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Can we install ELEMENTS on same system as PRO?
                      priyp Level 1

Gentlemen, thankyou very much indeed for your input. I will copy all to Dad for his perusal (sadly not near, some 200 miles away) and see what he says. A good solution would be to download a 'trial' of Elements for him to have a look at?

Again, many thanks for your comments, much appreciated

BRgds

• 8. Re: Can we install ELEMENTS on same system as PRO?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

The trial would be a good place to start. Note: there are some modules for certain formats, that do not activate in the trail, but do in the full-paid version, and also the trial places a watermark banner on all Exported/Shared output. In the FAQ section of this forum, there are two entries, that explain both of those in more detail.

Good luck, and it sounds like a good reason to visit dad.

Hunt