7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2007 5:58 PM by changjen

Profiler with Flex 2.0.1 application

katerini
      Hello,

How can I use the profiler in Flex 3 for Flex 2.0.1 applications? So far, the only output that i occasionally get in the console is:

socket timeout...
      java.net.SocketException: socket closed
      at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketAccept(Native Method)
      at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(Unknown Source)
      at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(Unknown Source)
      at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(Unknown Source)
      at com.adobe.flash.profiler.internal.Client$2.run(Client.java:153)
      at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I tried setting the timeout in the "lunch configuration editor" to higher values, but i am still getting the same results. My application SWF is residing on a remote web server while the profiler is residing on my local machine.

Thanks,

-george

PS: BTW debugging works fine with my remote application, it's the profiler that is having problems connecting...
        • 1. Re: Profiler with Flex 2.0.1 application
          austin_sherman
          Are you IE or FireFox (or something else)? I don't believe the IE ActiveX component is functioning. When using FireFox you have to close all instances of FireFox and let the profiler start it up.

That's how I finally got it to start up for me. My application is not remote. Not sure if that impacts the profiler's behavior.
          • 2. Re: Profiler with Flex 2.0.1 application
            Gaurav J Adobe Employee
            Yes there is a problem with the IE ActiveX component. You may see the known issues and some workaround for this here:

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Flex_3:Release_Notes#Known_Issues

• 3. Re: Profiler with Flex 2.0.1 application
              katerini Level 1
              Thanks Austin and Gaurav for the replies.

I tried closing all instances of Firefox and have the profiler bring it up, but i still got the same error message in the console:

socket timeout...
              java.net.SocketException: Socket closed

java.net.SocketException: Socket closed

I also noticed that the "profiler-ready" generated SWF has the same size as the "default" one.

thanks again for the help,

-george
              • 4. Re: Profiler with Flex 2.0.1 application
                austin_sherman Level 1
                My "profiler-ready" generated SWF files are also the same size as the "default".

Did you install the Flash player that came with the beta? It's version is 9.0.60.120. I was running 9.0.45 and was getting socket timeout until I installed the latest.
                • 5. Re: Profiler with Flex 2.0.1 application
                  katerini Level 1
                  i see, let me try to install the player too, i skipped that part of the installation :-)

Thanks for all the help,

-george
                  • 6. Re: Profiler with Flex 2.0.1 application
                    changjen
                    Hi,

I seem to be having a similar problem. Can I ask if it got resolved for you?

When I run the profiler (do this by selecting an mxml document and say profile as mxml app), I get the following in my console:

java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
                    at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
                    at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(Unknown Source)
                    at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
                    at com.adobe.flash.profiler.internal.ProtocolHandler.process(ProtocolHandler.java:101)
                    at com.adobe.flash.profiler.internal.PlayerSession.run(PlayerSession.java:310)

The application does start up. However, no profiler starts up.

I have set the default browser to Firefox, and it is running the app in Firefox I shut down firefox completely and let the hitting of the "profile" button start it.

When I go to http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_15507&sliceId=2 to check my flash version, it says WIN 9.0.60.120 and Debug Player (Player 6 and higher): Yes.

I have rebooted my machine.

.Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
                    • 7. Re: Profiler with Flex 2.0.1 application
                      changjen Level 1
                      It turns out that a firewall on my computer was blocking the connection without letting me know. I turned those off and the profiler is kicking in. Thanks.