• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wacom tablet: changing brush size shortcut

Advocate ,
Mar 13, 2011 Mar 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just bought a Wacom Intuos 4 tablet  and am experimenting with the settings.  There is a great shortcut in PS CS5 (and CS4?) which lets you modify the brush size & hardness by holding the Alt key and the right mouse button and dragging the mouse up and down or sideways. Is it possible to program the Wacom pen to mirror this functionality?  I found a tip with for the Mac which apparently works but I haven't found a tip for Windows because I can't find a way to combine Right Click with Alt in the Wacom pen settings.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No idea, but since making the brush tip larger and smaller is the thing I use the most too, I set the buttons on the pen to do this.

Bottom button= larger brush

Top button= smaller brush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not having used a tablet myself (yet), I am led to wonder...

Thinking of the tablet as a more or less mouse replacement, do you not expect to still use the computer keyboard for command modification while using the tablet?  I just sort of naturally assumed your non-writing-hand might want to be over on the keyboard anyway.

I am anticipating getting a new Intuos 4 myself very soon.  As soon as I have the new workstation together...

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your idea of using the two buttons on the pen for increasing and decreasing brush size.  I currently have two of the touch ring settings set up to adjust brush size and brush hardness but I think I will switch to your method for the size.   I hate having to go to different places to adjust size and hardness, so when I saw the Mac tip to make use of the new functionality to adjust size and hardness by merely dragging, I thought it would be great to have.  But I'm not willing to buy a Mac to get it!

I have as yet no idea how I will be using the keyboard to supplement the tablet (or vice versa).  I guess time will tell!  I have a German keyboard layout, which makes some of the keyboard shortcuts difficult.  Some of the keys not used by Photoshop don't work when I try to use them in customized keyboard shortcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2011 Dec 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this post is kind of old, but I found it searching for an answer to the same probem myself. So, after failing to find an answer online and encountering a lot of frustration in my experimenting, I thought I would share the answer to save others some time who might do the same search in the future.

Though it took me forever to figure it out, the answer is rather simple:

Just program one of the buttons on your tablet's pen to act as a "Right Click".

The key is that you must still hold down "Alt" and click and hold the pen's button while you are hovering the pen over the tablet, moving the pen around in the hover position to adjust the size.

Alternatively, you can set the your pen to "Click & Tap" mode, such that you can drag the pen along the tablet after you click, instead of hovering. I found the settings to switch between this and "Hover Mode" by clicking the "Advanced" button in my tablet's settings.

P.S. I have Bamboo tablet, so my settings might be different than the Intuos tablet, but since they're both Wacom, they should be similar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2011 Dec 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why wouldn't you use the touch ring for brush size?  The third position defaults to brush size and is more intuitive that the right click method IMO. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2011 Dec 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't seen it all, but in this excerpt of a Wacom training Video, Angie Taylor explains how to map multiple keys. (but my gut feelings was to try what atypicallife suggested)

https://partner.video2brain.com/angietaylor/videos-84261.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The touch ring is ok, but it has 3 other functions. So you may have to hit the button 3 times to get to the brush size adjustment. I really like the Alt-Pen button method. It's quick and easy and always right there when I need it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

On windows you can use alt+ctrl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines