1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 27, 2007 12:05 AM by Newsgroup_User

Director To Flash

Sudeshchan_Shetty
      Hello Group,

We have a startup Director movie, which was developed in Director Version 7 for Classic Mac OS. 
      We have a requirement of launching this startup Director movie on Director MX 2004 on Mac OS X.

The director movie depends on third party plugins like, printOMatic, FileXtra,CDPro Extra.
      I could able to download printOMatic, FileXtra. But I didn't get any site to download CDPro xtra.

So how about rewriting this using flash?
      Can we support these features using flash?
      1. Is it possible to embed .mov into flash movie? 
      2. Is it possible to launch other application from flash movie( we have the requirement of launching sub application within this application)?
      3. Is it possible to handle all kind of user interaction in flash movie?  

Can you please mention some useful sites which helps me to implement the above mentioned issues.

Is there any way to convert Director movies (*.dir files) to Flash compatible mode.

Any help is hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
      Satish
        • 1. Re: Director To Flash
          Level 7
          Hi Satish,

I'll try answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.

> So how about rewriting this using flash?
          > Can we support these features using flash?
          > 1. Is it possible to embed .mov into flash movie?

Yes. Flash does allow a MOV to be recompressed and embedded in a SWF file. Or, you
          could convert it to a FLV (Flash Video) that can be linked to the SWF.

> 2. Is it possible to launch other application from flash movie( we have
          > the requirement of launching sub application within this application)?

Not as far as I know.

> 3. Is it possible to handle all kind of user interaction in flash movie?

Depends on what you mean by this. But the simple answer is no. Flash can't
          interface with hardware or Operating System level needs.

> Can you please mention some useful sites which helps me to implement the above
          > mentioned issues.
          >
          > Is there any way to convert Director movies (*.dir files) to Flash compatible
          > mode.

There is no way to convert a DIR into a Flash format. The only way would be to
          rebuild the application from scratch

I have not used the CDPro Xtra. What exactly are you using it for?

Director does seem to be the most suitable tool for you. If you can't find the
          CDPro Xtra, there is probably another Xtra that will meet your requirements.

I have a list of useful Director related sites at:
          http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director/resources/

regards
          Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
          http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
          http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
          email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au