3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2011 5:52 PM by qseep

Build proposal for editing PC

qseep Level 1

OK, I've researched this for months, and now I'm getting close to buying. I'd like folks' feedback on the build below. Intended use is to edit HDV and DSLR footage. Will also be using other Adobe tools such as After Effects and Photoshop. Doing some projects for money, but not full time. Budget is $2500-$3000. The computer will live in my bedroom so it must be quiet.

Asus P8P67 Deluxe B3 Motherboard $240

Intel Core i7-2600K CPU $329

Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 SDRAM $110

EVGA GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) $360

Corsair Force F120 SSD $230 (system drive)

2x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB $65 each (project drive; RAID 0)

Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB $90 (for backup)

Wiebetech RTX100H-INT Hot Swap Drive Bay $49

LG WH10LS30 10X Blu-ray Burner $91

Silverstone Fortress FT02B Case $250

SeaSonic X750 Gold Power Supply $160

Noctua NH-U12P SE2 CPU Cooler $70

Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 TV Tuner Card $128

Verbatim Slim Wireless Keyboard and Mouse $35

2x Asus VE228H 21.5" Monitor $160 each

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OEM $140

TOTAL: $2732 (plus shipping)

Some comments:

Yes, I know folks are recommending to stick with the Nehalem architecture for the moment, due to the limited PCI-E lanes on P67. For a long time I was intending to equip an Areca ARC-1110 with four drives. Then I decided it was probably overkill for what I want to do, and only likely to complicate things. Also, although plugging in such a RAID card would lower my theoretical peak graphics performance, I think it would be a minimal effect in practice. Finally, if I really wanted two full 16x lanes, I could go with the P8P67 WS Revolution, which has an NF200 chip.

OK, maybe 8GB is slim. It's pretty easy to add another 8GB. Or I can just use 8GB until the 8GB DIMMS come out and pop in a couple of those. That'll leave me open to expanding to 32GB. Thoughts?

Yes, I know the GTX 570 costs a hundred dollars more than the 470, with marginal speed improvements. But it also runs cooler and quieter, from what I hear. I'm all about that.

The Silverstone case is quite expensive, but sounds like a very good one for balancing quietness with good airflow. I picked the one without a side window because it would lose the acoustic foam where the window is.

The 21.5" monitors may sound small, but I have a smallish desk and had considered going with a single monitor. They each support 1920x1080.

I picked the Verbatim keyboard because I like light-touch keyboards like on laptops and Macs. I hope the wireless nature doesn't cause me problems. I also have a Wacom Bamboo tablet which I might use in place of a mouse.

Despite the fact that I've carefully considered things, I'm quite open to your comments! Thanks, all.

• 1. Re: Build proposal for editing PC
          qseep Level 1

BTW I picked the Asus board due to the UEFI and easy overclocking. UEFI because I'm happy to get rid of BIOS after so many years. And since I've had poor experiences with overclocking in the past, I'm interested in the board's automatic overclocking capability.

• 2. Re: Build proposal for editing PC
            framednoise

Looks good but to be honest I'd rather have 16GB RAM and a GTX 560 instead of the 570 if the budget doesn't permit 16GB.

One thing to consider though (although it won't b a problem if you go for 8GB) with Vegeance RAM and the Noctua NH-U12P SE2. You won't be able to use all four DIMM-slots since the blasted heatspreaders on the DIMMS won't fit under the cooler. Either you have to remove the spreader on one DIMM if you want to populate all four slots or you'll have to go with normal low profile DIMMS, like Corsair XMS3 memory instead. They work fine with 1.5V.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Build proposal for editing PC
              qseep Level 1

Thanks, that's fantastic info that will save me a lot of hassle. I'll go with the 16GB RAM and consider more carefully the 560 vs 570.

BTW my current system is a Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz laptop with 4GB RAM. PPBM score around 2100, so I expect around a 10x improvement with this box! I do not need to get top scores but am looking for more of a sweet spot.