3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2007 8:51 PM by Alan Musselman

Sharing symbols with my teammates?

UIdiziner
      Hi there - I have FW CS3 - I got all my rich symbols created and I love this. Now I want to know how to save it to common file so that we can all share it. If someone makes a change to a symbols (changing font from pink to blue) will it automatically propogate to each of our files? Many thanks in advance!
        • 1. Re: Sharing symbols with my teammates?
          Level 1
          Not today, but you are thinking down the same path as the Fw team for Fireworks 10. :)

You could build a Flash app that lets you upload the common files to a server from within Fireworks and your teammates could check up on it and download what they need. Of course this wouldnt be an easy task, but is something that can happen today. :)
          • 2. Re: Sharing symbols with my teammates?
            Level 7
            Sharing resources across a team should soon be an invisible process (I
            hope?)

Alan Musselman wrote:
            > Not today, but you are thinking down the same path as the Fw team for Fireworks
            > 10. :)
            >
            > You could build a Flash app that lets you upload the common files to a server
            > from within Fireworks and your teammates could check up on it and download what
            > they need. Of course this wouldnt be an easy task, but is something that can
            > happen today. :)
            >
            • 3. Re: Sharing symbols with my teammates?
              Level 1
              You could use John Dunning's update symbols command. Forgot to mention that earlier:

http://johndunning.com/fireworks/

deebs - its definitely possible, I think it depends on the environment. Fireworks out of the box currently does not support a common library across a network which I believe is whay Uldiziner is asking for and on top of that the ability to be notified to update symbols that have been updated in another document using the same linked common library on another machine. You can copy your local common library and store it somewhere on the server so others can access it would be the easiest way.