12 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2015 10:48 AM by marubala

QTP 10 unable to recognize objects in Adobe reader X(Version10.0.0)

Jaikrishna2011
      Hi ,
      I have a scenario to Automate PDF forms which has numerous fields within it to be tested.
      Software's Available & Installed:
      QTP 10 installed.
      Adobe reader version 7 which I uninstalled and installed Adobe reader version 10.0.0
      I installed the Aptt plug-in and ran "regPDFTestToolkit.bat" from Adobe reader client plug-in directory which was successful

Problem
      AcroQTP Addin is available in addins manager of QTP ,  but I was neither able to identify or record any objects.
      I am not sure if I had missed out on anything.

Any suggestions. Kindly reply

Thanks,
      Jayakrishna.S
        • 1. Re: QTP 10 unable to recognize objects in Adobe reader X(Version10.0.0)
          rjjoshi Adobe Employee

Hi Jayakrishna.S

I am from Adobe.

As per my knowledge, Adobe has not yet released AcroQTP plugins which are compatible with Reader X on Adobe Labs.

The current plugins which are posted on Adobe Labs (http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/aptt/) are only compatible with Reader 9.x and not with Reader / Acrobat 10.x.

To recheck, please carry out following steps :-

1.) Right Click on AcroQTP.exe (AcroQTP plugin that you downloaded from Adobe Labs)

2.) Goto Properties.

3.) Click on the Version Tab.

4.) Check out the File Version mentioned here. (If it is 9.x, then this means that you are using incorrect version of AcroQTP plugins with Reader X)

For your information, Adobe plans to post the new version of AcroQTP plugins which are compatible with Reader 10.x with the release of Reader/Acrobat 10.1.

Untill then, if you need to automate operations on PDF using QTP, you can install the latest version of Reader 9.4.x and use the same AcroQTP plugins along with it.

In case you have any further please let us know. We will be happy to help you.

Thanks

Rahul Joshi

rjoshi@adobe.com

• 2. Re: QTP 10 unable to recognize objects in Adobe reader X(Version10.0.0)
            Jaikrishna2011 Level 1

Hi Rahul Joshi,

Thanks for your prompt response to my query and your solution is correct

Now i got back to Adobe 9.2 with AcroQTP plugin. it works fine.!!

Now the problem is we have internet explorer 6 and we are planning to upgrade to IE 8 for all our projects, end of month.

So if i upgrade to 9.4.x now with AcroQTP does it work with both IE 6 and IE 8?? So that i can remain with that and not worry about changing the s/w installed.

Once again thanks for your reply.

Regards,

Jayakrishna.S

HFP - New York

• 3. Re: QTP 10 unable to recognize objects in Adobe reader X(Version10.0.0)
              rjjoshi Adobe Employee

Hi Jayakrishna.S

I am glad to see that finally the plugin has started working for you.

For your other query regarding AcroQTP plugin compatibility with Internet Explorer 8, YES, AcroQTP plugin works fine on both IE 6 as well as IE8. Although, there are some known issues on Windows 7 - IE8 platform with Object recognition technique, but that is because Windows 7 is not in the list of supported platform for QTP.

So you can very well upgrade your system from IE6 to IE8 and use AcroQTP plugin seemlessly.

Thanks and Regards

Rahul Joshi

rjoshi@adobe.com

• 4. Re: QTP 10 unable to recognize objects in Adobe reader X(Version10.0.0)
                Jaikrishna2011 Level 1

Hi Rahul Joshi,

I have been working fine on Adobe Reader 9.2 with QTP 10 so far.

There however seems to be a small problem sometimes ,not sure if its specific to the tool or adobe

I dont have admin rights on my machine and i use the support person help to install new plugins like ACRO QTP in this case.When i log back in using my id , i will be able to see AcroQTP plugin being displayed in QTP add in manager and i was able to identify objects properly , but my company does some weekly updates on all the machines .

So every now and then i dont find the AcroQTP plugin in the QTP add-in manager and Adobe objects get identified as win objects and i have to again log in as admin and install the plugin again and it starts to identify as expected.

Is there any way of fixing the problem from happening again ?

Thanks,

Jayakrishna.S

HFP - New york

• 5. Re: QTP 10 unable to recognize objects in Adobe reader X(Version10.0.0)
                  rjjoshi Adobe Employee

Hi Jayakrishna

I would like to have some more specifics on your query.

What all is included in the weekly updates.? Does it include update for only Windows Security releases or also includes Acrobat / Flash / QTP updates as well.

Also, I believe that use of non-administrator account should not create any problem here (as it works fine for me) but still to be sure, I would like to know what all privileges / rights are given to your current user.?

These details will help me out identifying and investigating your issue.

Thanks and Regards

• 6. Re: QTP 10 unable to recognize objects in Adobe reader X(Version10.0.0)
                    Sumit Jaiswal

Hi Rahul,

Right now my problem is that i want to read some text from PDF file and i am not able to do it after lot of googling i came to know we can do this with the help of ACRO QTP:-

So my questions are :-

1.Is AcroQTP is a plugin which come's with the QTP installation like we had web, visual basic etc ..etc...If No then how can we add this in QTP addin Manager.

I have tried to do it but it dosen't work.

Could please let us know the steps to do the same.

Right now we are using QTP 10.0 and Adobe Reader 7.0

Your quick response will be appreciated.

Thanks

Sumit Jaiswal

• 7. Re: QTP 10 unable to recognize objects in Adobe reader X(Version10.0.0)
                      rjjoshi Adobe Employee

Hi Sumit

AcroQTP plugin do not comes with QTP installation. You can download and install it from Adobe Labs (http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/aptt/).

Once installed, it will be automatically shown in your QTP Addin Manager List. The step to install it are in it's Readme file.

But for your information, Adobe supports AcroQTP plugin for Reader 9.2 and above. AcroQTP plugins for Reader 10.0 and above will soon be posted on Adobe Labs. But, it do not works with Adobe Reader 7.0.

Thanks and Regards

• 8. Re: QTP 10 unable to recognize objects in Adobe reader X(Version10.0.0)
                        Kurt DB

Hi Rjjoshi,

I have the same problem.

At this moment I'm working with QTP 11 on Windows 7 with Adobe reader 10.1.0. and there is no object recognition

(A previous created script does not work).

Before, I was working with QTP 11 on Windows XP with Acrobat reader 9.2. This worked correctly.

Is there some news about the release of the new AcroQTP plugin?

Kind regards.

Kurt

• 9. Re: QTP 10 unable to recognize objects in Adobe reader X(Version10.0.0)
                          rjjoshi Adobe Employee

Hi Kurt

Adobe is doing currently making some documentations changes for the current APTT release.

We will be soon releasing its APTT plugins which support Adobe Reader X or higher on the same Labs Page.

I would request you to stay updated on it and would try to inform once we have made an official release.

Thanks and Regards

• 10. Re: QTP 10 unable to recognize objects in Adobe reader X(Version10.0.0)
                            Kurt DB Level 1

Hi Rjjoshi,

That is a fast response :-)

Thanks.

Kind regards,

Kurt

• 11. Re: QTP 10 unable to recognize objects in Adobe reader X(Version10.0.0)
                              QTPpdfAutomation

Does this toolkit works for QTP 11 and Adobe Reader XI?

I installed the Aptt plug-in (Adobe PDF Test Toolkit for Acrobat 10.1.2 and Reader 10.1.2) and ran "regPDFTestToolkit.bat" from Adobe reader client plug-in directory which was successful.

Now problem is neither AcroQTP Addin is available in addins manager of QTP ,  nor I am able to identify or record any objects.

I am not sure if I had missed out anything.

Please reply.

• 12. Re: QTP 10 unable to recognize objects in Adobe reader X(Version10.0.0)
                                marubala

Hi Rahul Joshi,

I would like to Read the data from an Excel and fill the PDF form with that data. I tried with PDF Test Toolkit. After Installing all the components,I neither See AcroQTP Addin is available in addins manager of UFT ,  nor I am able to identify or record any objects.  Please find the versions of Adobe reader and other stuff.

1. Adobe Reader - 10.1.2

2. AcroQTP - 10.1.2

3. UFT  - 11.53

Is PDF Test Toolkit is compatible with UFT?.

Thanks

Bala