5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2013 7:54 AM by mhunter1964

Can you convert SWF to FLA?

girlygirl401

I am probably the stupidest person in the world...  I accidently deleted my FLA file while cleaning up my computer.   But I have the SWF version.  Is there a way to convert my SWF to a FLA?  I tried renaming but it didn't work.  I really don't want to start all over-- the project took weeks!

• 1. Re: Can you convert SWF to FLA?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You might be able to recreate an fla of your file if you get your hands on a decompiler.  You're not likely to find any for free though.

• 2. Re: Can you convert SWF to FLA?
            girlygirl401 Level 1

Yeah I downloaded a 30-day free trial and it worked ... it's gonna take forever to rearrange all my layers because it totally messed them up.... but at least I don't have to start all the way over!

• 3. Re: Can you convert SWF to FLA?
              mhunter1964 Level 1

what software did you use? I work for a defense contractor, so I need a reliable and safe program to recommend. I have many swf files that I need to edit, but when I import them into flash I lose a lot of the internal animations.

• 4. Re: Can you convert SWF to FLA?
                moccamaximum Level 5

I work for a defense contractor, so I need a reliable and safe program to recommend.

Any defense contractor which is allowing swf files on their network should be informed that you will hardly find any piece of software,

that is less reliable and less safe than flash.

I have many swf files that I need to edit, but when I import them into flash I lose a lot of the internal animations.

Even the best decompilers will make it hard for you to modify the internal code if you`are not the programmer who originally made it.

If you have "many" swf files and only need the animation, you will it find a lot less complicated to convert them to video and use a program like AfterEffects to tailor it to your visual needs.

• 5. Re: Can you convert SWF to FLA?
                  mhunter1964 Level 1

We have source files made years ago from other contractors that we re-use. Sometimes a single animation, like a pump spinning, will not be there when I drag the swf into Flash. Other animations work perfectly.