7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2011 2:35 PM by fireworkshelp11

Can't get Export to work

Boston999 Level 1

I'm relatively new to Fireworks.  I created a small image map, but when I try to export the image and html to Dreamweaver, I get a message a message saying "Could not complete your request - The file was not found."  I've tried Export, Export Wizard, rebooting, and a bunch of other stuff - but still can't get it to work.  I'm using the Trial version (but it's the same as the regular version, right?) on a Mac running SnowLeopard.

Other than this, and an issue with the Text function that I posted about in a different thread, I like Fireworks a lot and was planning to buy it - so I hope there's a way to get Export to work with images/html so it won't be a showstopper.  I'm assuming I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Can't get Export to work
          Linda Nicholls Level 4

Can you upload the file so we can have a look at it?

• 2. Re: Can't get Export to work
            Boston999 Level 1

Linda, thanks for responding to my question.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to upload the file to you.  Everything I try gives the "file not found" message (but the file is right there on my screen, in front of me as I'm getting this message), so I don't know how to get it to you. The only way that I've found to get the file "out" of Fireworks is to save it as a .jpg file (which of course eliminates the "hotspots" and associated html), and then open it in Mac's Preview utility and also in Dreamweaver.  I could send you the .jpg file if you'd like, but since it no longer contains the hotspots and there's no html, I'm not sure that's too useful.

I tried adding the clickable hotspots back in with Dreamweaver, and that worked and also produced usable html. 

I noted in a separate forum message that the Text function has also stopped working for me, although it was fine initially.  However, I can no longer add text, and when I try to edit existing text, the existing text disappears from my image.

Has my copy of Fireworks somehow become corrupted?  Should I reinstall?  Other than these issues, I like the product a lot and would like to be able to use it.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Can't get Export to work
              Linda Nicholls Level 4

Try saving the file in PSD format. At least you'll retain some editability. It's possible you've just run out of RAM.

• 4. Re: Can't get Export to work
                fireworkshelp11

I can't get anything to export in Fireworks either.  These are the exact errors:

Could not save your file

the file was not found

Could not complete your request

the file was not found.

Ram isn't the issue.  100%.  I'm on a MACbook Air, brand new with only CS5 installed.  I remember moving the file that Fireworks was placed by default in.  Maybe that's the issue??

Anyway, I've tried all export options in all formats, and those are always the two issues I come up with.  I am able to save my files, just not export.

• 5. Re: Can't get Export to work
                  Linda Nicholls Level 4

Moving the file may well have caused the problem.

• 6. Re: Can't get Export to work
                    fireworkshelp11 Level 1

That was it!  I moved the applications out of the application folder and back into the default folder it was downloaded and installed in. 

So basically, DON'T DRAG YOUR APPLICATIONS INTO THE APPLICATION FOLDER.  Whatever.  I don't really get mac's quite yet. 

• 7. Re: Can't get Export to work
                      Linda Nicholls Level 4

I've recently switched to Mac's myself. It takes about three months to learn its innies and outies. I love it now.