7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2011 1:37 PM by Anthony Freeman 99

New Build - Will Palit GTX 580 work with Premiere CS5 and 580 vs 470?

Anthony Freeman 99 Level 1

Hi All,

This is an outstanding forum. Please can you assist me.At the outset i am nowhere near as tech-savy as many on this forum. I edit 3 hr wedding videos professionaly.We do up to 10 a month, so workflow and speed of operation is very important. (not to mention stability). We will be ugrading all cameras to AVCHD HD. I am putting together a new system.

Please can someone tell me if the PALIT GTX 580 will work perfectly with CS5 in order to activate the mercury playback engine. Also the GTX 470 is somewhat less expensive and to make things even more confusing there is a GTX 560 Ti 2GB now available. We can afford whichever will give us the fastest and most stable editing experience?

Is there a big diferrence in the quiteness of the above cards?

In SA electricity is costly especially when running your machine 24/7. Is there a major differrence in the power supply unit that I will need to purchase?

The rest of the system at the moment looks like this: (i am so afraid of RAID because i am not clued up technically enough to implement it - so for the moment we hope the system will operate fast enough not to require a RAID setup)

1) We intend to use the 980x processor.

2) 24 G 1600mhz RAM (kingston)

3) 1 x 320g Velosoraptor for system drive

4) 3x 2TB 7200 RPM Seagate

5) Cooler Master HAF-Xfull tower case

6) Power supply - 1000w

7) Mother Board (we are going to need advise here please: the options are: a) Gigabytew GA -x58A-UDR3   b) Intel Smakover x58 c)Asus Intel X58 Sabertooth d) Asus Intel X58 P6X58 Prem or e) Asus Intel X58 RampageIII EX.

8) Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit.  (Should we be going for Ultimate version?)

9) Blue ray Burner

Your advise on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Kind regards

Anthony Freeman

www.freemanproductions.co.za

• 1. Re: New Build - Will Palit GTX 580 work with Premiere CS5 and 580 vs 470?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Anthony,

Both the 580 and the 560 work great once you have applied the 'hack'. Palit is a good brand, but which card to choose?

The Palit 580 has been announced with 3 GB VRAM, but whether it is already available, dunno. The 560 with 2 GB is certainly the card that gives the better BFTB, Bang for the Buck, but the performance will be slightly less than the 580, but then so is the power consumption.

The 470 is more power hungry, runs hotter and makes more noise than the 5xx. OTOH, it is a certified card, so you can get support. Not so with the 5xx series at this moment.

• 2. Re: New Build - Will Palit GTX 580 work with Premiere CS5 and 580 vs 470?

Hi Harm,

Thank you very much for the quick response and information, its much appreciated. Do you think you can please have a look through the rest of the system on the list and make any comments or recommendations especially

a) on which motherboard on the list would work with the 980x

B) the 1600 MHz ram

C) power supply recommended rating.

D) and whether there would be any differrence for me in going for windows 7 pro or ultimate for the purpose of editing.

Your help is much appreciated

Have a great day.

Kind regards.

Anthony.

• 3. Re: New Build - Will Palit GTX 580 work with Premiere CS5 and 580 vs 470?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Unless you need multi-language support or bit-locker functionality, there is no reason to use Ultimate instead of Pro.

Both Gigabyte and Asus are great boards. Intel less so. Which board depends on the features you need, and the price you are willing to pay.

• 4. Re: New Build - Will Palit GTX 580 work with Premiere CS5 and 580 vs 470?

Thanks again Harm,

Regarding the mother boards, would you say the asus rampage III would be the top of the range and provide the most features in terms of future proofing and expandibility at a later stage? (its the most expensive of them) or is there little between them, my supplier says that the gigabyte has more sata ports and connectivity despite being cheaper.

Also is it true that the 1600mhz RAM is only necessary when wanting to overclock, and does not increase performance?

Kind regards

Anthony

• 5. Re: New Build - Will Palit GTX 580 work with Premiere CS5 and 580 vs 470?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Anthony,

With an unlocked CPU, like the i7-980X, you need not overclock the CPU to use the optimal speed for you RAM. So you can run your CPU at stock speed, but at the same time run your memory at 1600.

IMO, it is not so much about number of SATA ports. Most SATA connections are used for BRD and boot disk, the rest bypass the mobo via a dedicated raid controller. Dual NIC's, on-board FW400, on-board audio, location of the slots are much more relevant.

• 7. Re: New Build - Will Palit GTX 580 work with Premiere CS5 and 580 vs 470?

Hi Harm,

Thanks for the response again.

Im a little confused probably due to my lack of knowlege (im not using an external raid controller initially as mentioned above). Are you saying that if i dont use onboard raid then i wouldnt be utilising the extra SATA ports anyway?

What is "Dual NIC's, on-board FW400, on-board audio, location of the slots are much more relevant." do the Asus rampage iii and the Gigabyte board GA-X58A-UD3R have these requirements?

Harm on a slightly differrent track please can i get your opinoin.  Would the build above that im intending to purchase ,operate with good response and stability for 3 hr wedding videos shot in avchd HD 24mps 1920x1080. We often edit 3 to 4 streams in a mulitclip (on mac) no clip is ever longer than 45 min to 1 hr.?

Would this system with no raid (I have a paranoia with it being very complicated) and the velocoraptor drive as the OS and the 3 x 2T seagates 7200rpm for temp, cache and video drives. allow for a good realtime editing experience?

Have agood evening. (its 22:37 here in Johannesburg)