8 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2011 12:12 AM by Cris is Bliss

Source Image brightness change in Color Finesse Full Interface

Cris is Bliss Level 1

Hello All,

I noticed that my source image has a brightness/contrast change when I view it in the Full Interface of Color Finesse compared to the way the image looks in the composition window of AE.   The Full Interface image is darker and lacking the details in the shadows that I can see in the AE compositon panel.

Please see attached screenshots

LUT - NONE.png LUT - NONE

LUT 601 Gamma.png LUT 601 Gamma

AE Comp Window.png AE Compostion Window

The Footage is from "Color Correction Handbook" by Alexis van Hurkman

How can I color correct with a difference like this???,  Which is the true picture Color Finesse full Interface or the AE Comp window????

Also, when in the Full Interface mode of Color Finesse, when I choose from the view menu PRIMARY PREVIEW LUT - NONE the image is way, way darker than if ITU.R 601/709 or SMPTE GAMMA  is chosen.

I'm trying to learn color correction but this is adding confusion to the mix.

Is it my monitor settings, my color profile, a combo of the two or something else.  I read the Color Finesse Manual re: why use a REAL monitor, but at this time I don't have a Real Monitor and right now my work is primarily for the web.  Web video is seen on a computer, so I THINK my computer monitor should do- for now-, if its calibrated correctly and I choose the correct color space etc....

By the way, setting the monitor/color space and all that related jazz is very confusing.  Adobe needs to make it easier to set it correctly, or at least write it out in PLAIN- step by step english.

Thanks in advance

I use a AE CS4, With Color Finesse 2.1.12 on a Mac OS 10.6.6

• 1. Re: Source Image brightness change in Color Finesse Full Interface
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The 601 one is merely a means of how your footage >>>might<<< look on a TV screen if simulated within an sRGB environment. Of course it will look different from AE, if you are not using the same output simulation by assigning a preview profile to the comp and your monitor is not calibrated. The only difference here is that CF assumes that the monitor would calibrated in a specific way, which may not represent your specific setup. I'm sure Bob Currier can chime in since, as Stu Maschwitz once said, "homey understands color".

By the way, setting the monitor/color space and all that related jazz is very confusing.

It is to all of us, but there simply is nothing intuitive about it.

Adobe needs to make it easier to set it correctly, or at least write it out in PLAIN- step by step english.

Check the source linked from this thread a few days ago.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Source Image brightness change in Color Finesse Full Interface
            Cris is Bliss Level 1

Bob Currier where are you.   Please Chime in.

• 3. Re: Source Image brightness change in Color Finesse Full Interface
              Cris is Bliss Level 1

Since we have not heard from Bob Currier,

Does this mean the solution is to do the color correction in the Full interface and adjust the brightness back up or down when getting back to the simplified interface. 

Also does this mean that the Waveform Monitor, scopes etc... in the Full Interface is reflecting the image as seen within the Full interface or is it reflecting the image as it truely is in the AE composition window.

• 4. Re: Source Image brightness change in Color Finesse Full Interface
                Bob Currier Level 3

Sorry I missed this thread going by.

I just loaded in what I think is the same footage as you (10_SmilingWoman_Over2shot.mov) in case there was some codec issue, and I get a match between AE and CF. This is on a Mac, although that shouldn't make any difference.

Look in the Color Finesse Preferences. In the General tab there is a checkbox for "Use Traditional Gamma". In most cases you will want that to be checked. This checkbox has to do with the continuing changes in gamma handling in AE, QuickTime, MacOS X, etc. We provide it as an option so that you can get a match.

There is a similar checkbox for the external preview monitor in the Previews tab, since gamma handling is often different between the computer monitor and the external monitor.

Also, are you using color management in AE? Color Finesse is not color managed, so that would account for a color difference.

Finally, you typically want CF's Primary LUT set to "None".

Hopefully something in here will help. Again, sorry I missed catching this thread earlier.

Bob Currier

Synthetic Aperture

• 5. Re: Source Image brightness change in Color Finesse Full Interface
                  M3.

I have the same problem as Cris.

I'm using calibrated, wide gamut display. When I turn off Color Management in After Effects and reset my monitor's calibration to factory settings, Color Finesse's preview looks exactly as the comp view. The problem is that I know that these colors are not correct.

You may say: use external video monitor and I/O card... True, but not everyone can afford it. That's the reason why we buy decent LCDs and hardware calibrators - it works well in Photoshop, works (usually) in AE...

But what's the point of color management, if color correction plug-in do not use it? There should be a way to see proper colors in this app...

What about generating LUT based on monitor's color profile and uploading it to Color Finesse as primary preview LUT? That should work as "calibrating" display in CF...

The thing that I do not know is how to create LUT for CF - monitor calibration software usually generaltes .icm file. It should contain LUT, but there's no way to use it in CF.

Any ideas?

M3.

• 6. Re: Source Image brightness change in Color Finesse Full Interface
                    Bob Currier Level 3

CF's Preview LUTs are 1D LUTs which may not suffice for matching your monitor profile, although they work fine for their original purpose. If you have a way of exporting your monitor calibration to a 1D LUT, we support Autodesk/Discreet and Quantel format LUTs.

We're aware of the interest in having CF be color managed. I added another "vote" to the request on your behalf.

Bob Currier

Synthetic Aperture

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Source Image brightness change in Color Finesse Full Interface
                      color_minded

Hey, Can you enter another vote for me too?  I am in exactly the same boat as the original author of this thread: High gamut monitor and a color calibrator.  I can't afford a serious production monitor.

• 8. Re: Source Image brightness change in Color Finesse Full Interface
                        Cris is Bliss Level 1

Thank you Bob

will try what you suggested