5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2011 11:25 PM by Ronny_Axelsson

Reader X - print dialog speed and printer order

Ronny_Axelsson

Since upgrading to Reader X, I find the print dialog incredibly slow to open (3--4 seconds compared to instantly in previous versions).
      I also noticed that the prtinters are no longer sorted by alphabetic order, which is very annoying.

Are these known issues for Reader X, and are there any solutions?

• 1. Re: Reader X - print dialog speed and printer order
          Ronny_Axelsson Level 1

Looks like I'm the only one with this problem.

Another thing that has occured lately, is that printing is now auotmatically (meaning that it can't be turned off) adjusted to fit within the marigins of my HP printer. This happens even though it is set to None in the print dialog. It works as expected from Acrobat Pro 9.0.0.

I'm now uninstalling Reader X. It has given me nothing but problems.

• 2. Re: Reader X - print dialog speed and printer order
            rg@cbj Level 1

We have 200 employees, the  majority of which need to open and print hundreds of pdf documents a  day.  They are all experiencing this severe slowness issue both when printing and opening documents.  At first I  thought it was a network or server issue, then an antivirus issue, but I  have eliminated those as possibilities which led me to this forum via a  google search for acrobat issues.

This is a very severe issue!  It has cut our employees' productivity in half and costing us $thousands per day!  Adobe need to address this immediately!

The only solution appears to be to roll back to  version 9, but that will take considerable time to do on 200  workstations and laptops.  This update should have been much more thoroughly tested!

-RG

• 3. Re: Reader X - print dialog speed and printer order
              Ronny_Axelsson Level 1

Hi RG

Personally I gave up Reader on this "main computer" and have removed it completely.
              I'm fortunate to have Acrobat 9 Pro installed and it works much better, and then I use Cute PDF Professional for some tasks.

The interest for this problem seems to be nil.

• 4. Re: Reader X - print dialog speed and printer order
                MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Reader X and Acrobat 9 are not a supported combination. If you use Reader X you need Acrobat X. This is the only supported Reader/Acrobat combination supported under Windows.

• 5. Re: Reader X - print dialog speed and printer order
                  Ronny_Axelsson Level 1

What do you mean by 'supported combination'?
                  The two do work together but it is possible that the delay I saw was caused by a conflict of some kind.
                  FYI, I have another computer with Windows XP and Acrobat 7.0 Professional + Reader X (for testing), and the problem is nowhere near that obvious there.
                  The strange sort order (what sort order?) for printers is there though, which is a bit annoying when many printers are in the list.

Anyway, I've found the solution I needed. That is to remove Reader X completely, and there are no disadvantages to use Acrobat 9 + Cute PDF that I've found, but I feel sorry for 'RG' because I doubt he can do the same thing.