12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2011 8:48 AM by irishjmc

Best Middleware C# or Java ?

irishjmc

I am developing RIAs in Flex and want to send data rom the RIAs to a SqlServer DB.

What would be the best middleware to use, either C# or Java ?

What is the major differences in using C# or Java as middleware?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Best Middleware C# or Java ?
          UbuntuPenguin Level 4

I wouldn't go with a software that made me pay to scale out.  I would go with Java, but I guess you knew that by nmy username.

• 2. Re: Best Middleware C# or Java ?
            irishjmc Level 1

Thanks for the reply , yeah your username gives your ideals away.

But if cost were not a factor, which would you go for depending on ease of use, reliability and capability as a language ?

• 3. Re: Best Middleware C# or Java ?
              UbuntuPenguin Level 4

I don't know much about Redmond, Washington.  But I have heard that they maintain rooms full of kicked

puppies at Microsoft.  I'm not saying it's true, but it is something to

consider, do you really want your money to go towards the funding of puppy kicking endeavors ?

• 4. Re: Best Middleware C# or Java ?
                irishjmc Level 1

I think a certain Mr Gates would refute these allegations!!!!

But seriously which would be the better language to use as middleware for Flex ?

• 5. Re: Best Middleware C# or Java ?
                  JoshBeall Level 1

irishjmc wrote:

But seriously which would be the better language to use as middleware for Flex ?

Everybody is going to have a different opinion on that one.  There's also the question of, what have you invested in already?  Nothing at all?  You're totally starting from scratch?  There is nothing you're integrating with?

You mentioned C# and Java.  Have you also considered languages like PHP and Ruby?

As far as my own personal preferences: I have been regularly impressed with the innovation I've seen coming out of Microsoft in regards to .NET.  In the recent releases they've got all sorts of cool goodies like LINQ.

I also really like PHP for the speed with which you can write up a script to perform some particular task.  Done carefully, PHP can also handle very large websites.  It's working for Facebook. :-)

• 6. Re: Best Middleware C# or Java ?
                    irishjmc Level 1

Thanx for the reply Josh.

I have developed in both .net using VB and Java. It's been about 11 years since I used Java, so I'm sure the language has advanced a lot since. It's been about 3 years since I developed using VB.net.

The most widely used languages as middleware for flex appear to be C# and Java. We have licensing with microsoft which is getting more expensive each year, so I don't know if we will be continuing with that in a few years. There is rumours of going opensource, hence looking at Java.

At the moment the only thing that I would be looking to integrate with would be microsoft CRM but I don't know if it really matters what language we use for this.

I haven't considered PHP or Ruby, should I ?

I suppose another question is, "Is Java going to be as widely used a language now that Oracle have bought Sun" ?

I really don't want to be investing in something that isn't going to be as widely used in a few years.

Thanx

• 7. Re: Best Middleware C# or Java ?
                      JoshBeall Level 1

If you're going to integrate with Microsoft CRM, and your most recent experience with .NET is 3 years and with Java is 11 years ago, sounds like .NET is the way to go.

As far as Java's future and PHP/Ruby's applicability, I don't really know!  If it were me, I would consider all the options, but based on what you're telling me, I think my gut feeling would be to go Microsoft.

You mention the licensing fees are getting higher and there are rumours of going open source, but do you know if going to Java or another open source solution would actually save money?  You have to re-tool (many times the best tools for open source toolchains are not free--for instance, I've heard Java guys say IntelliJ IDEA is the best Java IDE, but it's not free), you have to re-train everybody, and you have to migrate all your existing stuff to your new system.  With an establish company with lots of systems, that last one is absolutely *killer* in terms of cost.

• 8. Re: Best Middleware C# or Java ?
                        irishjmc Level 1

Thanx for the help Josh

• 9. Re: Best Middleware C# or Java ?
                          rtalton Level 4

@UbuntuPenguin: I've also heard these "kicked puppies" rumors re: Microsoft. Horrible! Similar rumors about Canonical Ltd clipping the wings off Emperor Penguins and throwing them into the employee cafeteria’s huge shark tank at lunch time for sport also sicken me. But you do make a good point about the costs involved with scaling a project using MS products.

@irishjmc: I agree with JoshBeall. I use .NET/C# and Visual Studio. VS is a great tool. I also develop Android apps using Java in Eclipse and am comfortable with that language. My personal opinion is that you have more flexibility with VS and .NET/C# than Java, especially since you are using SQL Server as your database. Let me give you two examples why this is true:

1) LINQ is an example of a good technology that Java doesn't have a match for. I use it, and even though it is still being polished/developed, it is very powerful stuff when used with SS2008.

2) If you ever need to develop apps which depend on SS2008's GEOGRAPHY data type, then using .NET with SQL Server gives you capabilities Java does not come with. Location-based services are huge on mobile devices. Web apps using mapping are very powerful and useful when delivered using Flex.

I've done some heavy mapping applications in Flex and location-based services in Android which would have been nearly impossible without SS2008 & .NET. For example, calculating if the user is within 15 meters of the route line on a map (as in walking or driving a route). Or is the user within 2.5 kilometers of a certain point within a large city? How long is that route? What is the mid-point of that route? Does this route intersect another route? Each of these questions (and more) can be answered in .NET, each in one line of code! This is amazingly simple, almost trivial to do in .NET using SS2008's Geography and Geometry data types. These capabilities are all built-in and ready to go in .NET.

Also...

Using .NET in Visual Studio, you can quickly build and debug SOAP Web Services using SS2008 data. I mean really quickly. MS did a great job here with integrating the tools in VS.

Oh, and .NET supports VB, C++, etc., if that's your choice.

HTH

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Best Middleware C# or Java ?
                            irishjmc Level 1

Thanks for the reply rtalton, it was very helpful.

Do you mind me asking what type products you develop as we are going to be developing some map based RIA's ?

Thanks.

• 11. Re: Best Middleware C# or Java ?
                              rtalton Level 4

I work for a government agency so we don't sell products. But here is a beta version of a map-based RIA we're working on:

https://www.anaheimjobs.com/TrainingSearchMap.html

We're making it more user-friendly, but all the features are in there and programmers "get it". It's almost overkill now. Have fun!

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Best Middleware C# or Java ?
                                irishjmc Level 1

Hey man, your RIA is really is kool, its neat.

I also work for a government agency so we aren't developing any products either.

We are in the same line as yourself, getting information to the citizens.

I have put up another question, maybe you might be able to answer it:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/823150?tstart=0

Thanks