6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2016 3:29 AM by Roei Tzoref

AE CS5 - Shape Layer - Anchor point moves after position keyframe

tomaugerdotcom Level 1

I am experiencing unintuitive (to me) behaviour with a brand new shape layer. Here are the steps to reproduce the issue. I have made a screen cap of the problem but can't figure out how to upload it to this forum.

1. In an existing composition, I create a new Shape Layer

2. By default the anchor point (center point) is in the dead center of the shape layer. Perfect.

3. I turn on Position keyframing, and add a position keyframe at my current time

4. Instantly the anchor point now jumps to the center of the composition, and so now when I scale my shape layer it doesn't scale properly

If I try to use the Pan Behind tool, I get position keyframing. Besides, I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO DO THIS, since the anchor point was in the correct spot to start with, and it's only because of this keyframing "bug" that the anchor point jumps.

What am I missing or doing wrong? How can I add a position keyframe to a BRAND NEW LAYER that has no other animation on it, and still keep the anchor point in the dead center of my shape?

Thanks for your advice,

Tom

• 1. Re: AE CS5 - Shape Layer - Anchor point moves after position keyframe
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Again, read the help. Shape layer items have their own transform groups. To achieve correct animation, you animate those, not the global layer container.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: AE CS5 - Shape Layer - Anchor point moves after position keyframe
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are two options. If there is only one shape you can position the shape directly over the shape layer anchor point using the direct selection tool. The other option os to animate using the shape transform properties. Twirl down the shape or press the "u" key twice to reveal these properties. There is a separate set of transform controls for each shape in a shape layer.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: AE CS5 - Shape Layer - Anchor point moves after position keyframe
              tomaugerdotcom Level 1

Thanks to Rick and Mylenium for your helpful answers. Rick, I'd prefer not to have to manually reposition, because I'm never going to be as mathematically precise as the software for positioning the Anchor Point dead center.

Using the transform controls on the shape rather than the global container certainly did the trick! You guys are great. Thanks.

-----------------------------

[rant]

In my defense as far as the constant exhortations to "RTFM", we all know that most veteran software users only go to the manual when there's a problem. You also know that Adobe's help system (particluarly in regards to search) has gotten worse over the years, not better. So when I run into a situation like this, I'm going to search through the help for what I believe the problem is: namely "anchor points", "transformations" and "keyframes", and maybe "shape layers". This is a fair amount of research, and it's exactly what I do as my first line of defense.

The second line of defense that most tech savvy folk do, is a Google search; for example: "anchor point moves after position keyframe" or "After Effects shapes layer anchor point moves keyframe" etc. And you spend your time sifting through forums trying to find the relevant answers. I feel that THAT is my true due diligence, rather than reading the F'n Adobe manual that is so very very sparse.

So after my due diligence, I turn to the experts communities, because there I know I will get educated, reliable help within a reasonable turnaround time. And because I myself contribute to these same forums in areas where I have higher than average expertise. The Adobe Forums have proven to be one of the great online resources.

Finally, now that I have a great answer from two knowledgeable experts (thanks again!), I've also enriched the community, because of the way I have crafted my post title, hopefully the next poor ******* who has a similar problem and a similar methodology to finding resolution will stubmle upon my post because I've tried to overload the title with relevant keywords that will generate hits in google.

Through my question, and your accurate answers, the global knowledgebase has improved.

So forgive me for not memorizing the F'n Adobe online help. I go to the resources that are the most useful, expedient, and provide the greatest value as a whole.

[/rant]

Peace,

Tom

• 4. Re: AE CS5 - Shape Layer - Anchor point moves after position keyframe
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

.  . .  Rick, I'd prefer not to have to manually reposition, because I'm never going to be as mathematically precise as the software for positioning the Anchor Point dead center.

Accurately moving a shape to the exact center of the shape layer is as easy as going to the shape transform property and right clicking on Position then selecting reset. You could also do it manually by just setting the properties to 0, 0. Do that and the anchor point of the shape will be exactly in the center of the shape layer. Reset or an X, Y value for the shape of 0, 0 will always position the Shape's Anchor Point exactly at the center of the Shape Layer but it will not line up with the Shape Layer's anchor point if it has been moved.

• 5. Re: AE CS5 - Shape Layer - Anchor point moves after position keyframe
                  vincentc64614132

Hey man not sure if you're still around but just wanted to justify your rant 5 years later by saying that this post did indeed lead a poor *********** to a solution to a problem I was having, cheers!

• 6. Re: AE CS5 - Shape Layer - Anchor point moves after position keyframe
                    Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

Since the original post the good folks at Adobe created a nifty shortcut for placing the layer anchor point in the center. Ctrl+Alt+Home.

favorite features in CC versions of After Effects: command for moving anchor point to center of content | Creative Cloud…